Braxton Grealish

• Sage •

I couldn't watch as they proded our little one with the various needles and machines that the nurses had brought into the room.
Jack was laying in the bed next to me, his arm draped around my shoulders protectively as I cuddled up to his chest. He was doing his best to keep me distracted from the weak screams and cries that our baby was making with each test the doctors did.

'What about Jackson' Jack suggested and I looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

'Okay not Jackson then' he chuckled and I laid back against the bed, the aching in my stomach forcing me back.

'I like Braxton' I suggested and I felt Jacks grip around my shoulders relax as he listened to my name suggestion.

'Mmm Braxton Grealish' the name ran off of his tongue so easily, it sounded right and with that the decision was made.
We sat in silence for a little longer until the nurses finally stopped prodding Braxton.

'We're upping his fluids to keep his hydration levels up and starting a course of anti booties, that should clear the chest infection' one of the nurses explained before swiftly exciting the room.
Once again, a deafening silence descended on the room until Sage spoke.

'Shouldn't you be at training?'

I looked down at her my eyebrows raised and a small smile forming on my face as she gazed up at me.

'Are you joking? I'm not leaving you'

'I'll just get some sleep' she added and I sighed, this was Sage's subtle way of telling me to stop suffocating her and so I went to training, my mind never leaving Sage and Braxton.

'Mate I'm so glad she's alright' Phil gave me a hug and I thanked him.
The boys had all rallied around me the entire training session, there wasn't too much pressure for me to perform at the level I usually do and right now, that suited me perfectly.

'Here, we got you this' Gareth handed me a box as all of the boys gathered around me. We'd sat down on the training pitch for five minutes and it was this moment that I'd been approached by Gareth.
I untied the ribbon that was delicately placed around the box and opened the lid. There was a tiny England kit folded up, Grealish written on the back and a number ten.

'Thanks lads' I smiled and did my absolute best to fight the tears that were threatening to fall from my eyes.

'How's the little one?' Jordan asked me and I gave him a half smile and a small shrug.

'Well, it's a boy for one and we've decided on Braxton as a name, their starting a course of antibiotics and stuff like that' I did my very best to explain everything to the boys but everything had been abit of a blur lately.

'You think we could visit Sage and Braxton?' Declan asked and I nodded, it would probably do Sage the world of good to see someone other than me.

Dec got into the car with me and I headed for the hospital again, I could already tell I was going to be spending the next few weeks in between training and the hospital. We wondered through the door and were immediately met by the clinical smell.

'God I'll never get used to the smell in these places' Dec groaned as we got into the lift, pressing the right floor and heading up.

'You should smell the house after Sage has cleaned, pure bleach, I'm sure she's trying to kill me off' I chuckled and Dec gave me a big grin as the elevator pinged and the doors opened.
I let Dec into the room and he dashed over to Sage to give her a cuddle.

'How are you chicken?' He asked ans I sat in the chair in the corner watching their cute interaction. Dec always knew how to make Sage chuckle, even when she wasn't supposed to be laughing because of her stitches.

'He's so tiny!' Dec commented as he looked into the incubator that was accommodating Braxton. I joined him and watched as Braxton's tiny hand wrapped around Decs long index finger.
We spent a while watching him until he'd fallen asleep again, he's only really awake for a few minutes at a time given his tiny size. Sage too had fallen asleep and so we headed out to get a coffee.

'What does this mean for the next season then?' Dec asked, taking a sip of a his drink as we sat in the cosy coffee shop.
I paused for a moment, taking a minute to think.

'I guess I just gotta play it as it happens' I sighed and slouched back in my chair. Braxton was stable, Sage was doing really well, there wasn't really any major reason for me not to go back and play in the new season but I didn't want to leave Sage's side.

'Might take your mind off of things' Dec suggested with a small shrug and I agreed, it would be the release from this stress that I so desperately needed, I just couldn't help feeling so torn about it.
We spent a few more minutes sat in the cafe just chatting and catching up, I hadn't spent any one on one time with Dec in, well ever.

My phone rang as I headed back in the direction of the hospital. Pulling it out of my pocket I panicked when I saw Sage's name.

'Hey, what's up? I'm on my way back?'

'Nothing nothing I just wanted you to bring me a hot chocolate' she giggled down the phone and I released a breath I didn't even know I'd been holding.
I went back into the cafe and got her drink, heading back to the hospital and finding Sage dozing in the bed.

'Hey you' I whispered as I closed the door slowly behind me and placed the warm cup on table.
She stirred slightly and opened her eyes, smiling up at me, I slid gently into the bed next to her and wrapped her up in my arms.

'How is he?' I asked and peered over at Braxton's sleeping little body in the incubator.

'He's got pneumonia' she sighed and I watched as a few tears began to pool in her eyes.

'He's a warrior you know, he's a Western crossed with a Grealish, and he will get through this' I did my very best to reassure Sage but I knew it was going straight over her head, it was going over mine too in all honesty.

'They said I can be discharged next week but I don't want to leave him' Sage added, sitting up and reaching for the hot chocolate is bought her, she took a sip and winced putting it down again.

'Hot' she laughed and I couldn't help the massive grin that appeared on my face.

'We can spend all day everyday here if you want to, but at least you'll have a comfier bed and better food'

'What I'd do for a lasagne right now'