Chapter 4 - The Aftermath

*BEEP BEEP BEEP*

I was already awake however. I turned it off and I rested my head back down on my pillow. I let out a long sigh as I was deep in my thoughts. I saw my dad again, when I was in the shower. He repeated the same words 'kill him'. I really am insane... and I'm treat like one. I had to get up, for Riley and Dylan though.

I changed into jeans, a shirt and denim jacket. I brushed my hair in front of the mirror and I felt so disgusted with myself. I stared at my body and I took off my denim jacket and put on a baggy hoodie instead. I looked at myself in the mirror again, to look a little more satisfied to see you couldn't see my figure but my thighs still showed on my jeans. I ran my hand through my hair and decided to leave it down.

I prepared outfits for Riley and Dylan while they were still asleep. They don't entirely know what happened yesterday, and I want to protect them from the world so badly but it's not that easy. My mum was god knows where and I saw Chris leave yesterday. She was - for a change - having a double bed to herself.

I woke Riley up by itching his nose. He flickered open his eyes and it made me smile, seeing his face.
"Cereals downstairs" I whispered to him. He yawned and rubbed his eye while he stared at me.
"Morning" he said to me tiredly and rolled out of bed.

I shook Dylan awake and he stretched out his body.
"Morning sleepy head. Cereals ready" I informed him.
"Alright... three more minutes" he said as he snuggled closer to the pillow. I giggled and snatched the pillow away from him.
"Oh no you don't. Up!" I cheered. He groaned out loud and went to change.

"Yes I'm sure I want to quit.. thanks for your time" I ended the call on the cafe and I caught Elise staring at me with her coffee, leaning on the counter, while the two boys quietly ate their cereal.
"You quit your job?" Elise questioned me. It pissed me off that I could sense Elise dying to ask me if I'm 'alright' or 'would you like to phone the police'. I sighed as I nodded my head, slurping some water.
"Not for me" I replied back to her.
"Hm, okay. And Grace... can we talk, about yesterday?" Elise asked me calmly and quietly. Dylan raised his head a little and I shook my head at him. He just went back to eating.
"I need to go see Dr. Lecter, the boys are nearly done eating. I'm afraid I don't have time" I pouted my lips at her and she bit the inside of her cheek.
"I think it's best if we talk" she debated back.
"Well I don't wanna talk" I replied back, hoping she'd drop it.
"Don't close yourself off from me" she pleaded. I scoffed and finished my water.
"I have a therapist, remember?"

I kissed the boys heads and they ran into the school gates. I smiled to myself seeing theyre Atleast happy but I know they're struggling after dad, yet they still thrive. I turned around and I bumped into someone.
"Not again" I shrieked but I saw it was just Tommy rather than my dad.
"Grace no- I'm not trying to-" Tommy's eyes were wide and he thought I meant the actions Carver did, since he was unaware of My hallucinations. I frantically shook my head at him.
"No! I don't mean that... shit" I wiped my forehead and Tommy looked down at me sadly, which I despised.
"How are you?" Tommy asked me.
"Fine... why wouldn't I be fine?" I questioned him, implying that yesterday is not a discussion. I lit myself a cigarette and blew the smoke away from him.
"Let's walk" he suggested, getting my reference.

We walked down the road and Tommy had his hands in his pockets.
"How are you not hot?" He asked me, chuckling, referring to my oversized hoodie. I raised an eyebrow and took a burn off my cigarette.
"Im a cold person" I joked, avoiding the truth. He laughed and adjusted his brunette hair.
"Shouldn't you be at work?" He remembered. I smirked and rested my cigarette between my lips while I checked the time on my phone.
"I quit. I got somewhere else to be" and that 'somewhere else' would be Dr. Lecter.
"Hm... can I walk you?" He begged, trying not to sound too bothered but I know he was busting to. I giggled and finished my cigarette.
"Nope. See you around, shitface" I gave him a salute and he smirked, giving me a salute. Then, I jogged down the street.