Chapter 27

IN THIS CITY

CHAPTER 27

MCKINLEY P.O.V

We decided to give our engagement a couple of days before we announced it. I hated having to put the ring back in the box but we both decided that we wanted Michael and Lynn to have their time with Cade before we announced. 

A week after Cade was born, we were all headed there so that I could make everyone dinner. I was at the food store with Luke, my ring proudly on my finger, buying food for tonight. We had decided on a roast beef dinner with mashed potatoes and gravy along with some corn. I was also planning on making a salad. For dessert we were going to make cookies and get some ice cream to make ice cream sandwiches. 

"McKinley." I heard from behind me. Luke had gone off to look at the beer while I was deciding on what chips we should get. My eyes widened as I turned. 

"Liam." I looked at him. "You look great." I smiled a little. 

"Yeah, you too." He commented. "Having a party?" He asked looking at the four chip bags in the cart. 

"No. Uh. A friend had a baby so I'm going there to make dinner for the group." 

"Who? That guy Louis?" I almost chuckled knowing what he was doing. 

"Luke." I answered throwing in another bag of chips. "And no. Michael and Lynn. I think you met them." That's when he noticed the ring. I mean it was pretty hard to miss. It was huge and sparkly. 

"What is that?" He asked. I turned it on my finger before looking up at him. 

"An engagement ring." I answered. "Just happened a few days ago." 

"To who?" Now that I was afraid to answer. The entire time we were seeing each other I had been comparing him to Luke. At the end of the day, no one compared to Luke. 

"Um." I rocked from one foot to the other, nervous to tell him. But then I didn't have to. Luke came over and placed the beer in the cart before resting his hand on my back. 

"Huh." Liam scoffed. "Should have figured that." He commented. Luke didn't look at all alarmed. 

"Luke, you remember Liam." I commented leaning into him a little. "He came to one of your parties." I commented. 

"Uh, I was pretty drunk the entire time you guys were together." Luke commented. I rolled my eyes. The dick measuring contest was happening right in front of me and Liam was going to lose. 

"Well, congrats on your engagement. I hope you get divorced." Liam walked away and disappeared around the corner. Of course that was my biggest fear. Getting married just to get divorced a few years down the road. 

"Well, okay then." Luke chuckled beside me. We finished up our shopping quickly after that. As we got closer to Michael and Lynn's, I started to worry. I didn't worry so much that they wouldn't be happy for us, I knew they would be. This was years in the making. I was worried that they were going to think that we were upstaging Mike and Lynn. Of course nothing was more exciting than your best friends having a baby but I knew that these two events happened on the same day and I didn't want anyone upset. 

Luke pulled into their driveway and quickly got out. He couldn't get enough of seeing Cade. Of course we got picture updates all day long but Luke got a lot more than the rest of us. I loved watching Luke with Cade but I also loved seeing his friendship with Mike fix itself over night. Things had been tense between them for a while. It worried me. He nearly ran inside and left me to carry in all the bags.