Chapter 2 // Golden-Eyed

Karleigh
-edited-

I woke up in a pair of strong arms that were carrying me up long, narrow steps. I didn't want to open my eyes and be faced with the reality of my situation, so I kept them shut and embraced the warm- almost shocking- feeling of this mystery man's arms.

"I know you are awake, Karleigh." His warm vanilla infused voice sent shivers down my spine. Thank God I wasn't standing up or else I would have fallen due to my knees giving out.

I leaned further into his grasp and opened my eyes. "Where are you taking me?" I asked groggily. More importantly, where is Rebekah?

I jolted forward- almost to my own fall, had it not been for his lightening fast reflexes. "WHERE IS REBEKAH?!"

"Calm down little one." He held me closer to him and I instantly felt more relaxed. "Your friend is asleep in the servant quarters."

Servant quarters? More importantly...servants? "I thought you bought us as your slaves..."

I knew I was tempting fate by questioning my master's decisions but, I had to know why we were being able to sleep our first night here. This is nothing Mrs. P's classes have ever taught us. We slaves were expecting to be tortured, worked, and deprived.

"I did, but I do not believe in slavery." His eyes wandered to my own. His however, were a much brighter green than I last remembered. "I keep my servants in servant quarters. That is where they sleep, eat, relax, watch television, and other activities when not on duty." We were still walking down this hallway passing an innumerable amount of doors on our left and right.

"Not on duty? Us slaves-"

"Servants. I do not believe in slavery." He corrected me.

"Us servants are always on duty."

"Not here. Here my servants have shifts. You friend-uh Rebekah- will take her first shift two days from now after she gets accustomed to her new setting and the grounds. Her shift will last 8 hours and she will be paid $15 an hour." He explained. This didn't seem right. Only an 8 hour work day...that left 16 other hours to do stuff! Plus pay! We get paid! More than minimum wage might I add!!!

"When do I start?" I asked once he put me down when we stopped at the top of another flight of stairs in front of two huge mahogany doors.

"You will not work here." He said as he opened the doors to an amazing picture perfect bedroom.

"What do you mean? Why won't I work here? You can't separate Rebekah and I!" I babbled.

"You talk to much. Now get undressed and go to sleep." He demanded while taking off his shirt and pants and hopping into the freshly made bed before I could really get a good look at him.

I stood frozen, waiting for him to tell me where I was going to sleep and hoping that it wasn't in the same bed as him. I've heard stories. I know what he wants.

"Are you coming, little one?" He asked. My mouth flew open and closed several times, begging for words to come out but in the end there was nothing. "You can put your clothes next to mine here. I will have some new ones for you tomorrow."

"B-but can I have some privacy?" I asked looking him straight into the eyes, for a moment he looked hurt, and I thought I saw his eyes shift from green to gold and back...honestly, I'm crazy when I'm tired.

"No. I will roll over but you will get undressed and sleep with me tonight." He rolled away from me and I started to hesitate.

Now would be the perfect time to escap-