Chapter 1 // The Highest Bidder

Karleigh (pronounced Carly)
-edited-

I woke to the sounds of sirens coursing through the street. The red and blue lights poured through my tiny window as I slowly got out of bed to see what was happening. As I glanced through my blinds, I saw another 4 or 5 police cars speed by, followed by a series of blacked out vehicles. I couldn't tell where they were going but, I knew that nothing good was going to come out of this. Tired from this unexpected awakening, I laid back in bed and slowly drifted back to sleep.

This bliss didn't last long due to the fact that Ms. Pollock burst through the doors with her blow horn, signaling for everyone to get up.

"C'mon ladies! We don't have all day to dilly-dally. Let's get moving!" She screamed as if her withering life depended on it. Ms. Pollock was a nasty old woman who I had known since I was 7 years old. She is the lady who took me in when my parents died. She is the orphanage keeper, but she is also the spawn of satan.

I got up, quickly changes into comfy clothes, and ran downstairs with the other 20 girls who stayed here. We took our seats at the dinning room table and awaited our breakfast. Us girls have followed the same routine everyday for at least the past 10 years that I have been here.

7:00am: wake up
7:15am: eat breakfast
7:45am: showers
8:00am: chores
10:00am: reading/writing class
11:00am: math class
12:00pm: lunch
12:30pm: break
1:00pm: chores
3:00pm: lady-like class
6:00pm: dinner
7:00pm: quiet hour
8:00pm: showers
8:30pm: activities (kids younger than 14: bedtime)
10:00pm: bedtime

After having our daily breakfast of oatmeal, we all hurried upstairs and took our showers, in order to make it downstairs by 8:00 for our morning chores. The entire time, many of the girls were talking about the car last night and what it could have been. We all knew that no one came through this part of town unless it was an emergency, or it was our Christmas Auction. Yet, it was July 17th.

As we walked downstairs, we were met with Ms. Pollock's hideous grin that only seemed to appear when we would be upset.

"Good morning girls." She said. After our slight hesitation, she repeated herself. "I SAID...good morning girls."

"Good morning Ms. Pollock, how are you this morning." We all said in complete harmony.

"I am fantastic. Especially because we have a very very special event on our hands." Her grin grew further than seemingly possible. "As you all know, once a year we have our Christmas Auction, which provides the house with a tremendous amount of funds."

I glanced over to my friends since I arrived here, Rebekah. We looked at each other with clear fear in our eyes as Ms. Pollock continued.

"Well, this year we will host our very first, CHRISTMAS IN JULY SWEET VACATION AUCTION!" She jumped in place and clapped her hands. "Now, we only have a few hours before the guests arrive. So those who are 16 and up, head back upstairs and get ready. I want each and everyone of you to be presentable, we will have very important guests here tonight."

Out of the 20 of us, only 7 were over 16-me included. We all once again, ran upstairs and immediately sat in our beds. One girl named Shelby, was crying hysterically and didn't seem like she was going to let up anytime soon.

"This sucks." Said and other girl, Michelle. She was gorgeous and honestly would probably be the golden girl tonight.

"Uh. Yeah. Of course it sucks!" Rebekah yelled. "We will probably never see each other again and who knows who we are going to be sold to! They could be perverts or control freaks or even...even...ugh! I can't do this!" She was right though.