His Heart Was Glass, You Dropped It {Kili x Reader}

His Heart Was Glass, You Dropped It {Kíli x Reader}

Kíli smiled down at the small box in his hand, opening it for the fiftieth time in twenty minutes to check that the ring inside was still there.

    "Kee!" An exasperated exclamation came from Fíli, who was lounging on the couch in full 'Heir of Erebor' regalia. "Stop checking. The ring is there, and Y/N is gonna love it."

    Kíli fiddled with the box. "Are you sure?"

    His brother nodded. "Of course! You've been courting for a year, the poor girl is probably about to combust, waiting for you to propose!"

    Kíli sighed. "Okay. Okay, yeah. This is gonna go great. It's all gonna be fine. She's gonna say yes."

    In a room on the other side of the hallway, you paced frantically back and forth, alone with your thoughts.

    You'd been courting Kíli for twelve months, and you were pretty sure you loved him, although it certaintly hadn't been easy.

    The thoughts had begun creeping into your mind several months ago, as each and every difference between you and the son of Durin you were with was pointed out and nitpicked beyond belief by the court.

    Your lack of knowledge about the history of Erebor, nevermind that you'd helped reclaim the Lonely Mountain.

    Your complete disregard for proper clothing- you were the only female of any species that most of the dwarves had seen wearing pants- they thought it was simply scandalous.

    Your ignorance of manners and courtly behaviors- but really, who needed three forks- and to know what each was used to eat- at a meal?!

    And the biggest one- you weren't a dwarf.

    And it wasn't only you who'd received criticism. Kíli had been insulted, scorned for his choice of a human girl. The king, Kíli's Uncle Thorin, and his heir, Kíli's brother Fíli, had also come under fire for "allowing" Kíli to court you.

    And while you didn't want to bring any more misery to them by being a part of their family, you were becoming more and more certain that this wasn't the life for you. You couldn't live trapped under a mountain, having to jump through millions of hoops and let thousands of people know every time you wanted to go for a walk in the forest, or a visit to Dale.

You would stay, if you didn't think it would just make things worse. You'd stay for Kíli. But the reaction of the people showed you that maybe this wasn't the best thing- for anyone.
    You thought you could love Kíli, though. You could do this, for him.

You looked down at the dress Kíli had picked out for you laid across your bed and sighed.

Later, after eating a whole lot of delicious food, you moaned the loss of feeling in your feet as you danced.

    You were having a good time, at least. The food had been good, the music was better, and you were spinning around the dance floor in Kíli's arms.

    Kíli spun you out and around so that you were facing away from him, and suddenly, the music came to a sweeping halt. And you noticed everyone looking at you. Or rather, looking at something just behind you.

    You turned around, slowly, to see Kíli down on one knee in front of you. He had a small box opened in one hand, and nestled in the box was a ring.

    "Y/N. Will you marry me?" Kíli asked.

    You looked down at him in shocked horror. "I- what?"

    "I love you, Y/N. I'm asking you to marry me?"

    You were frozen in shock. Everyone in the room was looking at you, waiting for you to answer, you could hear faint murmurs breaking out as you took longer and longer to answer, not knowing what to say as the hopeful look on Kíli's face began to crumble.

    And you took a deep breath.

    "No."

    Every head in the room snapped to look at you as the echo of that one word reverbated around.

    You shook your head, trying to stay calm as tears started to well in your eyes.

    "No, Kíli. I cannot- I will not marry you. I am sorry."

    With that, you pivoted on your heel and strode towards the exit.

The guards at the large hall doors stared at you in bemused disbelief as you walked directly at them, but opened the doors on instinct. You swept through them, head held high.

    The doors closed behind you, and in the hall you'd left behind you could hear a pin drop. Or, in this case, the ring that Kíli had held in his hand. The metal rang out against the hard stone floor as the prince knelt, gazing, crestfallen, at the doors wher he'd last seen you.

    You walked back to your room alone. Pushing open the door, you gazed around the things you'd accumulated in the year and a half you'd lived here.

    None of it was really necessary. None of it was really meaningful.

    Just like you.

    Kíli would be better off without you- he'd find a nice dwarven girl that wouldn't make half the lords threaten to rebel. He'd be happy.

    You had thought you loved him.

    You had thought that this life could make you happy.

    You had been wrong.

And so you gathered what few possessions you wanted.

One dress.

Some pants, some shirts, a few cloaks and an extra pair of shoes, everything that would help you survive. You packed it all into a small bag.

Then you took off your beautiful dress, laying it neatly out on the bed and donning your hunting clothes.

You sighed, looking around the room, taking in the remnants of your former life.

You turned quickly as you heard the creaking of the door, and saw Fíli's golden head poke through. He looked startled to see you, but composed himself quickly.

"May I come i- you're leaving?" He came in and closed the door behind himself.

"I can't do it, Fíli. I can't marry him."

"Why? Why, Y/N? You're breaking his heart!"

Tears welled in your eyes once more. "I know. I'm breaking my own, too. But this is all wrong, I shouldn't be here."

Fíli let out a deep sigh. "Okay. I still don't know why you're doing this, but okay."

He turned to leave, pausing with one foot out the door. "Goodbye, Y/N. We're really going to miss you."

"I'll miss you too, Fíli."

That night, outside Erebor for the first time in you didn't even know how long, you sat at a small campfire you'd built.

Alone, truly alone, for the first time in years.

You still didn't have a reason, but you knew this was right. However hard it was.

You bowed your head, and let the tears flow freely.

Back in Erebor, in a now-lonely room, a dark-haired prince did the same.

Love had slipped beyond his reaches.

And so, miles apart, you both cried.

Cried for time lost.

Cried for lost love.

Cried for each other.