Hope {Aragorn x Reader}

A.N: This is the completely reader-insert version! I honestly had so much fun writing it and am honored that this person wanted me to do so. I hope y'all like it!

Requested by @ask-the-elf-stuff on Tumblr

Pairing: Aragorn x Reader {the insert version is another post}

Warnings: Kissing, fluff, the smallest bit of angst.

"You're really leaving?" You gazed into Aragorn's eyes, hoping that it wasn't true.

"I have to, Y/N. The fate of Middle-Earth depends on it."

Your head dipped in understanding, but also sadness.

"Do not fear. I will return." He cupped your chin with his hand, tilting your head and kissing you. It was a light kiss, nothing like the others you had shared before. This kiss was the hope that you'd see each other again.

Breaking away, you forced a smile as you hugged him, trying not to cry. Stepping back, you waved as he followed the rest of the newly formed Fellowship through the gates of Imladris. Your father stood next to you, and as Aragorn passed through the gates Elrond drew you into his side.

"He'll be back, hína (child)," Elrond said as he pressed a kiss to your forehead.

Nodding, you rested your head on your father's shoulder as you watched the man depart.

Weeks later, you were pacing your room, determined to do something. Arwen stopped short in the doorway as she saw you pack open on your bed as you shoved things inside.

"Y/N? What are you doing?"

"I do not know why, but I have felt a pull to follow. An ache, almost painful in its strength, has settled inside me and so I knew I must follow. We have not heard from the Fellowship in weeks, Aragorn could be hurt, or someone else could be, or he could be," your voice broke, "dead.

The elf nodded in understanding. "The ache is telling you to be with the one you love."

She then clasped your hand. "Y/N. Look at me."

You looked at her, unshed tears of worry clear in your eyes.

"If he was dead, you'd feel it. And I know as your sister I should be telling you not to go, but I cannot help but notice the pain you've been in these last weeks. So go, find him." She spread a map out onto a small table nearby, and you couldn't help but laugh.

"Do you just carry that everywhere?"

She shot you a look, and you quickly clammed up, peering over her shoulder as she pointed things out.

"After crossing the mountains visit our grandmother in Lothlorien, the Fellowship had planned to pass through there, and she will know where they are."

You took it all in, remembering the route to Lothlorien from visits to your grandparents you had made before your mother went west.

"Thank you, Arwen." You smiled up at your sister.

She clasped your wrist before pulling away, placing her hands on your shoulders as she looked into your eyes. "Stay safe, Y/N."

You nodded, shoving the last things into your pack before slinging it over your shoulders with your bow and quiver, daggers sheathed on your thighs, hugging your sister one last time before leaving your room.

You strode down the hallway, dressed in leather hunting clothes as you made your way to the gates of Imladris. You had stopped by the kitchens to gather food supplies, making sure they thought you were only going for a hunting excursion.