xi. Fishy Friends

Start from the beginning

    "What about a quick refresher, then?" smirked Hiccup. "Island full of ill-tempered, highly territorial, and virtually invisible dragons."

    "So, we should buzz 'em!" cried Tuffnut, throwing his hands up.

    "Really rile 'em up!" added his sister. They high-fived.

    "No," said Hiccup, "I was thinking more along the lines of keeping our distance."

    "I like the sound of that," breathed Fishlegs relieved. A roar from down below at the oncoming island made him jump. He hunched up, pointing a shaky finger down, "That I don't like the sound of."

    Toothless growled, apprehensive. He glanced down.

    Valkyrie frowned; she felt something unsettling grow in her stomach. Zephyr bounced nervously as well. "That sounds like a dragon in trouble."

    Hiccup nodded, "We should check it out."

    The two of them dived down towards the sound. The Twins followed, and lastly, so did Fishlegs with a whine of, "What happened to the 'keep our distance' policy?!"

    "Fishlegs!"

    "Okay! I'm coming!"

    They grew closer. Valkyrie pulled Zephyr out of the dive and into a glide as they came to the stone sea stacks and towards the beach. There, amongst the trees, was a large, shrieking green dragon.

    She gasped, faltering Zephyr's flight for a second. "Hiccup━"

    "Yeah, I see it," he hovered in next to her. "That's a Scauldron."

    Fishlegs frowned. "W━what's it doing on land?"

    "Catching some rays?" offered Tuff.

    "Taking some alone time?" grinned Ruff.

    Tuffnut scoffed at her and muttered, "Lucky dragon."

    "Or maybe," went on Fishlegs, "it's waiting for unsuspecting dragon riders to get too close so it can blast them with its scalding hot water! Oh, just lovely!"

    Valkyrie peered in closer, and her breath hitched. "Oh, no! He's hurt!" she pointed to the pile of rocks on his wings. He pulled and shrieked, but couldn't move. "Look!" She glanced at Hiccup, pleadingly.

    But he was already on her side. "Come on, gang━let's check it out!"

    She set her jaw and pushed Zephyr onwards again. The group of Riders swept around and out of range of the Scaldron's fire to set down in the shade in front of it. Valkyrie hopped off her dragon, her heart clenching at the sight of his wing stuck under a landslide of rocks and boulders.

    He tried to reach them, scared out of his mind to attack, but couldn't get past even an inch. He snarled, letting his head fall down to the sand, defeated.

    "Whoa," said Tuff, eyes wide. "He is huge."

    "He could eat me in, like, on bite!" said Ruff.

    "Let's see!" Tuff shoved his sister forward. She stumbled towards the Scaldron, but still far away enough to be safe. The dragon reared and hissed, and Tuffnut laughed. Until his sister spun back and raised her leg. His face fell, "Or maybe not━ow!" she kicked him right in the stomach and he toppled over.

    "There must've been some sort of earthquake," murmured Valkyrie, ignoring the two of them and pointing to the landslide. "And before he could get back to the water, his wing got pinned." She spun back, pale. "A Tidal Class dragon can't stay out of the water for very long ... he'll dry out━we have to help him!"