Chapter 15

It took two whole hours to find an inn. All because Artemis had refused to go back to the same inn.

"The main area is too small for us to fight, and I don't think the innkeeper would be pleased if we barged into his inn again, wanting to rent it to ourselves," Artemis explained to Percy. "Plus, there won't be the risk of you getting woken up in the middle of your sleep. At least, not from the same robber."

Percy then had no more motivation to refute her idea, mostly because of the not-getting-woken-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night thing.

But after an hour, he regretted his decision.

Even more so upsetting, they had passed by many inns, but Artemis refused to choose them, since they "did not have enough space."

But to Percy's bleary eyes, all of them looked almost the exact same, with small differences, like extra windows—which meant extra rooms, which in doing so led to tinier rooms, or an extra floor.

By the time when Percy was sure his leg muscles would never heal, Artemis finally stopped at an inn.

"This looks perfect," Artemis said. The ungodly hour didn't seem to affect her at all; she was still as energetic as if she had just woken up. She followed the cobbled path all the way to the door.

Again, to Percy, it looked almost exactly like the other inns. Only, it looked significantly shorter and squatter, as if a giant had stepped on it. Further, the outside looked a hundred years older, with peeling wood, and exposed foundations that did not look sturdy.

Overall, the place would make an architect cry.

It also gave Percy an uneasy feeling; if the building needed foundations on level ground, then it obviously wasn't built to put confidence into guests' minds. It looked like the place somebody would go to if all the other inns were booked until the next month.

But Percy trusted Artemis' judgement, and followed her inside. 

Once inside, the place took a more modern vibe. It was as if Percy was teleported into another, more cleaner inn. In fact, it was better than the one they had stayed at last night, if you ignored the outside.

The main floor was taken by an army of tables and chairs, with a full ordering table taking up one wall. And of course, since the main floor was a tavern, it couldn't be complete without a full bar, staffed by five waiters, dressed in all white. (They didn't have much work to do, since all of the usual drinkers were probably still in their rooms, sleeping, blissfully unaware of the hangover they would get once they woke up.)

The place was a almost quarter full. It didn't sound like much, but there were at least ninety people eating breakfast. The aroma of spiced foods made Percy's mouth water, and he suddenly was glad they stopped at the inn.

Apparently, the guests had not taken heed of the building's exterior condition, since they were talking boisterously with each other, not worried at all. As Percy was watching, a man tackled another man, and both of them fell onto the floor, wrestling. But with every creak of the building's floor, Percy winced, expecting the worst.

After what seemed like an eternity of floorboards squeaking, just like last time, they arrived at the serving table. Percy wondered why no inn had a place solely for paying for a room, but he then understood the heavenly smell of the kitchen would convince guests to stay longer, and possibly pay more money.

At least, it had convinced Percy.

A waitress came to where they were standing. "How may I help you?" she asked, pulling a notepad and pen out from a drawer hidden by the bar. 

Artemis smiled, obviously overjoyed it wasn't a man who she had to talk to. "I would like to book a room."

"If that's the case, I will notify the innkeeper about a new arrival. He will be here shortly." The waitress walked away into the kitchen.

Artemis now glowered, presumably since she did not want to do negotions with a man. 

Percy couldn't help asking, "Seriously, why don't you judge a man after you meet him?"

"Because they're all horrible," Artemis said. She then quickly added, "Not you of course, you're probably the only decent man in the world."

Percy was happy she thought that of him. "You might unfairly judge a man," Percy insisted. "If you don't like women being treated badly, don't treat men badly either. Yes, most males are bad, but not all woman are perfect either. You have to give everybody a chance."

Artemis sighed. Usually, Percy could see millennia of intelligence shining through her eyes, but at that moment, Percy could see all the maturity, worries, and experience.. Even for a goddess many millennia old, it looked like she had been through too much. In her twenty-year-old body, it looked like she had aged at least ten years, bogged down with regret, guilt and sadness.

"Even if I don't remember all my memories, I still know every male is horrible—unless they have raised correctly. And most males haven't, since they don't treat females correctly. It's a never-ending cycle, one that makes me hate them." She spat the last two words with so much hate in her voice it made Percy flinch. 

Percy knew where she was coming from. Sure, it wasn't good that she treated every male with the same amount of disdain, but it made sense, since most of them were . . . horrible. She was the protecter of women, and it was naturally right for her to hate the people who made women suffer.

And so, Percy had nothing else to say. He gave Artemis a smile, one that relayed that he understood her perspective.

And probably for the first time in history, a male had made Artemis smile, and not just an ordinary smile. A smile full of gratefulness and thankfulness.

Just then, a man came lumbering over to them from behind the bar. He was tall and muscled, and Percy would have mistaken him as a bouncer, if not for the proud aura he dispersed. His eyes glittered with something that immediately convinced Percy that he would accept their negotiations, as long as it had the promise of money.

And from his arrogant posture, it had to be lots.

"Ah, some new guests," The man said smoothly. "How many rooms?" 

Artemis had switched back to her cold demeanor. "We would like to speak to you in private," Artemis said coldly. She reached a hand into her pocket and it came out holding a dozen drachmae. "I'll pay you for it."

Smart, Percy thought. No risk of us getting mugged, no one dying, and no risk of Artemis getting pegged as a carnivore. It's a win-win for everybody! Well, maybe not for Artemis.

The innkeeper's eyes filled with greed. He gladly accepted the money and ushered them into a room behind the bar, closing the door behind him. The room was painted a bland white, and the only furniture it had was a desk and three chairs. The man sat behind the desk, while Percy and Artemis sat in the other two chairs.

"Well then," The man said, rubbing his hands together eagerly. "I would love to hear what you want."

A/N-How was it? Hope you liked this chapter, and feel free to comment suggestions. Thank you for all of the support and have a great week!