I flushed the toilet, washed and rinsed my face and mouth before exiting the bathroom and joining them at the table.

"Are you okay P? Your face is all red." Mom asked.

"I am." I nodded pulling my hair back and sitting next to Cece. "The air is really humid this morning."

"Okay. Here, have some eggs." She scooped eggs unto my plate and a sudden wave of nausea hit me. I closed my eyes and breathed out.

"Thank you mom but I don't want any eggs today." I shook my head.

"What? But you love scrambled eggs."

"I'm fine with just toast and sausages." I passed my plate to Cece and focused on the sausages instead.

"It's understandable," she said, "pregnancy tends to make you lose taste for even your favourite foods."

"I mean, I can't even stand the smell of-" Cece's leg kicked mine underneath the table and my eyes widened in realisation. "P-pregnant women?" I backtracked gulping.

"Did you forget I was a midwife before I had you girls?" she dropped her cutlery, "I know morning sickness when I see it. Did you really think you could hide it from me?" Her eyes stared at me incredulously.

"I told you so." Cece whispered from beside me but I couldn't respond being under mom's intense scrutiny.

"Now can you tell me why on earth you are knocked up without a ring on your finger or a partner in sight?"

"Mom, please."

"Don't you mom me," she warned sternly, "who and where is the father? It didn't work out? Was it a one night stand? Explain it to me Ophelia."

I turned to Cece for help but she only shook her head sympathetically. I was twenty seven, pregnant and at the mercy of my mother's glare.

"The father is..."

"Is who?" She pressed adamantly.

"...William." I deflated.

"William?" Her face first scrunched up in confusion then in the next moment, her eyes widened in recognition, "that William? The ex who is your boss? The one you don't see often?" She fired and I quietly nodded.

She sighed deeply, "well, where is he then?"

"It's complicated."

"Dear God. You two will be the death of me." She pushed her chair back and stood up.

"I'm twenty seven mom, is it so bad that I got pregnant?"

"Exactly Ophelia, you're twenty seven not seventeen. You're not a teenager anymore. I thought you would be smarter at this age!" Shaking her head, she left.

Tears brimmed my eyes.

"I'll go talk to her. She's just confused and worried." Cece stood as well and I dejectedly nodded. This was so not how I planned for the day to go.

By noon, mom was officially giving me the cold shoulder but Cece assured me she'd eventually come around. I knew she would but her reaction still hurt. The door bell rang but my mind, far away, hardly took note of the noise and actions that followed till mom's loud words broke my reverie.

"Ah, the baby father is finally here."

My eyes flew open seeing a confused looking Will standing on the other side of the door while my mom stood, staring at him expectantly. I hastily reached the door. Will's eyes immediately washed over me and stopped short on my belly.