Prologue

.

.

.

.

. . . . . . . 

 . . . The world . . .  

 . . . . . . . . . . 

.

.

.

.

 . . . . . . why is it on fire?

It was perfectly fine and insufferable yesterday. . .

.

.

.

. . . so why is it burning today?

.

.

.

The sound of my family's screams were muffled. But so was the crackling of the flames that were engulfing my world. 

.

.

.

I could stay and burn in the flames . . . .

. . . . Or . . . .

My house was only one story house with a basement. 

I could easily escape out of my window.

I carefully- no, I recklessly took the screen out of my window, making my escape to the burning world outside easier.

Though . . . . . .  as I said . . . . 

I was reckless.

The possibility of people going berserk from the end of the world, somehow never crossed my mind. The thought of someone waiting in my backyard to kill me never crossed my mind.

Yet there he was. 

A man holding a gun.

Aimed straight for my head.

Just as with my father, mother, sisters, and brother's screams and the crackling flames, the gunshot was a dull noise compared to all of the bright light from the fires.

Looking back on that day, I didn't feel any pain until after.

After the scalding heat.

After the bullet hit.

After I died.

I only felt the pain from the burns that would never fully heal and the splitting headache in place of a true bullet wound after the world I had known all of my life, faded into black.

Instead of  the pearly gates or wrought iron gates I had imagined I would see once I died, I saw a snowy forest. 

I remember it was snowing.

And . . . 

.

.

.

. . . it was beautiful.