I knew I couldn't get my hopes up when I hadn't even been in the company for very long, but being rejected from something you wanted can be a hard pill to swallow. Quickly exiting out of the email and watching as everyone begins to pack away.

"See you tomorrow Micah," Lauren waves before pushing her airpods into her ears.

"Bye," I wave as I watch them natter between them and walk towards the exit of the office.

A deep sigh leaves my chest as I begin to pack up my own stuff, not having the motivation to carry on any more work tonight. I just wanted to eat food and take a bath, relax considering it was only a Monday.

The journey home was average, no delays or cancellations on the trains which made it slightly more enjoyable. Valentina wasn't home when I walked through the front door, flicking on the lights and dropping my bag down onto the floor.

Shrugging off my jacket and laying it across the back of one of the kitchen chairs, proceeding to the fridge and finding some leftovers from the weekend. My stomach growls and I instantly bung it into the microwave and stand wait, listening to it crackle away, my eyes staring ahead of me at the opposite wall.

My phone starts to ring from my bag and I walk over to it, looking at the caller ID. Weston.

Clicking onto the caller button and raising it to my ear. "Hey," I say into my phone.

"Hey," Weston responds before the line turns quiet. "Are you annoyed at me?"

My eyebrows narrow at his words. "No, why would I be annoyed at you?"

"I know HR sent you that email before the office closed," he speaks quietly.

"I know," I nod my head. "It's fine."

"You didn't say bye to me before you left," he breathes out. "So I thought you were pissed off at me."

"West," I shake my head as I turn to the kitchen counter. "I'm not annoyed at you, the email disheartened me a little bit, of course. I just wanted to get home, I'm sorry I didn't say goodbye."

"I don't care about that, I just wanted to make sure that you were okay." His voice dips ever so slightly.

"I'm fine, honestly." I say as the microwave pings. "I can just apply for another role another time, it's all good."

"You were a real strong candidate, you know that right?" He says strongly down the phone. My heart pants in my chest at the way he speaks. "We all loved your application, it was such a tough call but Jack has more experience within the industry and it made sense to give it to him."

"I know you can't favour me just because we're together West," I smile through the phone. "I get that, so don't worry about it."

"I just don't want you thinking that you failed because you haven't, it was such a tough decision to make. You're so intelligent Micah and we value you highly here, there will be so many more opportunities for you."

"I know West," I say as I walk back over to the microwave.

"I feel really guilty," he sighs out.

"Don't," I shake my head. "In a way I'm glad you didn't give it to me rather than giving it to me because we're together, even though I wouldn't have been fit for the role. I'd rather earn it than fuck my way to it."

Weston chuckles down the phone which erupts my spine into shivers. "I love you," he says as his laughter calms.

"I love you too," I smile, feeling warmth spread in my heart.

"Are you busy this weekend?" He questions.

My eyes roll. "When am I ever busy, you are literally my life."