Chapter 17: Emergency Trip

"Carina?" "Yes, Bambina?" She responded. "What if we adopted Hope? Or started the process?" I said with a nervous voice.

————————————————————

POV Maya:

"I think that is a wonderful idea. Let's do it!" She said with excitement. "Ok then it is settled." I said. "I would have never thought I would want kids but Hope definitely changed my mind." I thought.

*At three in the morning*

We were all three sleeping peacefully, Hope sandwiched between Carina and I. Then, Hope rapidly sat up and was violently coughing which immediately woke us up. I looked at her and her face was full of panic.

She was pointing at her back pack, then I realized she needed her bronchodilator. I quickly jumped out of the bed and got her bronchodilator. After she took a few puffs of it, she was able to catch her breath.

"You ok, Hopey?" I ask her. "Yeah, just need to catch my breath" she says while still trying to catch her breath. "Ok bambina, I'm going to get my stethoscope and make sure that your breathing sounds ok. If it isn't, then we will probably have to take you to Grey-Sloan to get checked out. Ok?" Carina says to her.

POV Hope:

"Dang I haven't had one of these coughing episodes in a while" I said out loud. "It has happened before?" Momma asked. "Yeah, but not as bad as this time, this time was by far the worst" I say.

Mama comes back into the room, "Ok bambina, I need you to take a big deep breath in and out." I did what I was told. As I was letting the air out of my lungs, some mucus got caught in my airway. Which started another coughing episode.

"*cough* can't-t *cough* br-r *cough* breathe" I managed to choke out. Then, coughing caused me to throw up a mixture of mucus and what I had in my stomach. It was all over myself and momma and mama's bed.

POV Maya:

After Hope's second coughing episode, I looked at Carina and she knew exactly what each other was thinking. "Hopey, bambina. Let's go get cleaned up and momma will clean up. Then, we go to the Grey-Sloan and get you checked out." She says to Hope. "O-Ok" she said while catching her breath.

I quickly stripped the bed and threw the sheets and comforter into the washer. I heard the shower stop and went into Hope's room.

"Hey, just in case we need to stay for a while, grab some stuff to do at the hospital." I say to her through the door of the bathroom. "Okay" she yells in the bathroom. I headed toward our room when I saw Carina sitting at the kitchen table with her elbows on the table and head tucked between them.

I walked to her slowly and wrapped my arms around her waist. She jumped a little. I gave her a kiss on the side of her face. "Are you ok?" I ask her while she leans her head back and into the crook of my shoulder. "Yeah, I'm fine bella. Just worried for Hope...." she said with a worried voice.

"I will be fine," Hope interjected. Making both Carina and I whip our heads toward Hope, who just rolled into the kitchen. "We know you will. Are you ready to go?" I ask. "Yeah? But mama is definitely not ready to go and you are sort of ready to go." She says while looking at us. "Right. We will get ready. Just give us 15 minutes." I say back.

POV Hope:

After they left the kitchen, I decided to grab coffee and a protein shake for the road. I made extra for mama and momma. I lined up our thermos, filled them up with coffee. Obviously, I filled mine up with soy milk because still lactose intolerant and honey. While momma and mama have regular milk and sugar.