Chapter fourteen

Mulai dari awal

     "No Maylock, I won't" I step away. "You said you'll explain things and you haven't. You said you would take me to my bag and that was a lie. I don't know why I even followed you in here." I walk towards him, cursing myself yet again for believing in him and not bringing my guard up quicker. "I'm going"

     "You can't leave here Layla, not until you do this"

     "There's nothing stopping me" I head for the doorway.

     "I wouldn't be so sure about that" he states and just as I reach it, I feel like I've hit a brick wall and I back away from the impact.

     "What the hell?" I touch my forehead as it spawns an ache and I look at the doorway to see the corridor I walked down clear and with no obstacle. 

There's nothing there? So, what did I hit? 

     "When we entered, we activated the force-field." Maylock announces. 

     "No kidding" I roll my eyes, still holding my head to lessen the constant throbbing. 

     "It's to keep anyone else from coming in and to help preserve what's inside here." 

     "Including us?" I glare at him. 

     "No, it will open when this is all over" 

     "So, you're assuming that I'm just going to do this?" 

     "This is usually a simple process" he mutters, combing his hand through his hair. 

     "Yeah, it would be when you know all the facts"

     "Okay, I should have told you this at the very start to avoid confusion." He apologises and then taps his watch. "These are called angel watches or angels for short. They give us our armour and ability to fly. Each one has set characteristics. The process of the choosing ceremony comes down to your personality. You have to match the characteristics of an angel in order to be chosen. My characteristics are determination, kindness and confidence" he proudly states. These characteristics must be true as the latter is all that emits from him.

     "So if I'm chosen, I become a Guardian?"

     "Yes" His angel flashes red again and I'm not sure whether to take it as a warning sign. "Dammit. We don't have long so let's begin because doing this will further protect you"

     "Protect me from what?" Maylock stills after he stops his angel from glowing the dubious colour.

     "It's just a Guardian saying. To protect you further in the way of armour"

     "Bit of an odd saying" I frown. "So, why me? Why have you been looking for me to do this?"

     "You like your questions, don't you? But you should know that we weren't specifically looking for you, just someone who could maybe fit the characteristics of an angel"

That is such a lie! I recall that guy Maylock said my name to. He asked whether he went to where he told him. This was all planned.

     "You were looking for me. You said my name to that man"

     "We tracked you. Baymin pinpointed your position and gave me coordinates. That's how I found you"

     "Baymin?"

     "The man" he fills in the blank while a large smirk is plastered on his face. "I picked up your heat signatures in the city so I investigated"

     "So, if I wasn't there, you would have gone"

     "We would have gone to find someone else, yes. You just intrigued me because nobody ever goes into the Folklore woods and yet there you were." I weigh it all up. They weren't looking directly for me, just someone who might fit an angel's characteristics. Might? Might fit an angel? What if one doesn't?

     "So, by doing this, I'll become a Guardian only if I match the characteristics of an angel?"

     "Correct"

     "But what if one doesn't? You can't exactly let me leave with the knowledge of who another Guardian angel is and what they look like" I quickly work out but then curse myself for saying too much aloud and from this, I realise what will happen, what always happens. "You'll hurt me, won't you?"

     "Jeez Layla, we are not savages" his eyes widen in surprise. "You are safe here. If its unsuccessful, we will wipe your memory just like that" he clicks his fingers "and you will be none the wiser of your little adventure with the Guardians plus you'll be carrying your damn bag" 

     "Please stop saying that" 

     "Okay I'll stop" he smirks, "I'll give it to you afterwards. You're safe either way with whatever happens. So let's begin. Stand there" Maylock points to the left of me and I match his direction. 

I am right in the middle of the flooring. 

     "Hands out, palms up and stay still" 

What's going to happen?