Chapter ten

The words rang in her ears.

Just leave the car, warned a voice in her head. Leave and don't look back. He's obviously insane. But her body wouldn't budge and she couldn't believe she would even consider throwing her brother to the wolves.

However, what He was saying was borderline insane. But that's what he does anyway-take what wasn't his and fuck the consequences. he was dragging her to commit something as atrocious as stealing from a church. A place of God.

She didn't even know if he was being serious, but it was too shocking to hold back from asking. "You want me to steal from the church?" Just to make sure she quite heard him right.

"Are you crazy? Why do you have to steal from there? If you want money, go steal from the bank or a grocery store. And why do you think I'd go through with your stupid plan?!" she rushed the words out without catching her breath, pretending she wasn't concerned in the least that he was rolling his eyes.

"I'm not trying to steal from the church, idiot. The money you're getting is mine. Not anyone's, but mine. Some dickheads hid it in the church, alright? Stop crying about it and go get my shit."

Her stomach dipped and tied a knot. Suspicion went its way through her. "Why can't you get it yourself?"

His face shaped into a scowl; "Because it's none of your business. I tell you what you do, not the other way, so shut the fuck up." His voice was full of more annoyance than usual. He sure as hell sounded like he was lying.

"I'm not moving until you explain to me why you can't just go in there and take back the money if it's yours. What's so hard about that?" she snapped, eyebrows drew together.

I mean, there were dozens of ways to get rid of me, so why the church?

"I hate churches" he replied. One corner of his full mouth twisted into something like a smirk, clearly not on the same page with his words. "Some cunt stole my money and thought it'd be safe in there. Satisfied now, hmm?"

No, she wasn't satisfied.

"Why can't you send one of your guys to get it, then?"

"As I said, it's none of your business. Get out or your brother gets shot."

Why do his expressions never align with his words? That was what made him so confusing. He was really trying to hide so well.

Chaeyoung resisted the urge to flinch or cower but threw him a dark glare she hoped would welcome his dreams. "Jerk"

He leaned closer to her face. The air around them shifted into something deeper and darker and a little more dangerous. Her breathing hitched, but she didn't pull away, even as his eyes became nearly level with hers, coming so close she could feel the sweep of his lashes.

"Remember, the priest might be in on it, so try and act better than you pretend as if you don't want me to fuck you." His lips moved to the corner of her mouth before it widened into a taunting smile, his eyes shimmered as they looked away. Without another word, he moved back, putting a large amount of space between them.

Chaeyoung went stiff, her eyes darting to the door. With shaky hands, she opened the door and bolted out.

The building before her was small, but beautiful, old stone and stained glass. Her anxious stomach did a flip the second she stepped into the church.