Chapter eight

THE sound of small chatters filled the cafe, and the scent of coffee and other different kinds of food wafted through the air.

Chaeyoung had been standing in front of two customers for the past four minutes, as they skimmed through the menu with a snotty look, unable to decide whether they would go for pancakes or salad.

This was the part of her job that she came to hate, having to deal with customers like these two. Sometimes, she wanted to quit and find a better job that didn't pay less.

"So, have you decided?" She gripped her notepad in her hand. The redhead girl scrunched her face as she kept her eyes glued to the menu, while the other girl was typing away on her phone, completely ignoring her. "Excuse me? I said, are you ready to order?"

The girl slammed the menu shut and looked up at Chaeyoung with a look so dark she expected her to cower behind it. "When we are ready, we will order. You don't have to stand over us and be so annoying."

Chaeyoung gritted her teeth but still managed to smile through all of that. If she wasn't sure the manager would fire her, she would have kicked them out of the cafe. Huh. Having dealt with her gangster boss so many times, he had unleashed a wave of unquenchable anger inside her.

"As you I wish." She turned sharply and marched away from the table, muttering curses under her breath. When her eyes met the manager's, she hurriedly put her mask back on and stormed over to the counter.

"Everything alright, Chaeyoung?" The manager asked with lifted brows. He was watching her like he expected her to blow up, like all he wanted was for her to do that so he could have an excuse to fire her.

She had been on his radar for a few days now. Every time she moved, he was watching her. When she breathed, he had to make sure she did it right.

She got that she had been a little distracted lately, but if he knew what was going on in her life, he would give her a break.

Anyone in her position would act the same way if they got themselves working for dangerous people. And the fact that every time her phone rang or vibrated, she felt like hyperventilating because she expected it to be Ghost demanding her services.

Someone snapped their fingers in front of her face, jerking her out of her thoughts before she faced the barista, Soojin. Soojin frowned when she realized Chaeyoung hadn't been paying attention to anything she had been saying. "Are you okay, Chae?"

"Yes, yes, I'm fine." She pushed her hair out of her face and tucked it under her ear.

"Okay. We have new customers at table six." Her friend jerked her head past her shoulder, but she didn't turn around yet. "Ji-hu will take over table three."

Thank God, was what she was thinking before she head to table six, where two men sat in a booth, and Chaeyoung instantly had a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach.

The one sitting on the left was taller than the one on the right, but they still looked the same. It was too early to jump into conclusion and she needed to stop being so paranoid that every man who walked in was part of Ghost's gang.

"Hi, what can I get you?"

There was really nothing about these two men that proved they were Ghost's men, and yet, she suspected them to be. They looked as if they needed an excuse to beat the shit out of someone. Even their dark clothes and mean look did not hide the fact that they weren't good men.