two

╮first game╰

╮first game╰

"Aubrey," Katheryn said, breathing heavily and pushing her long hair from her face. She pressed her hand against Aubrey's back as she slid her way into the cramped hallway bathroom. "Have you seen my car keys? I can't find them anywhere."

"I saw them sitting on the coffee table this morning," Aubrey answered, letting her elbows relax from braiding her hair as she paused to glance away from the mirror to look at her mother.

"I've looked there and didn't find them," she said, pushing around the hair supplies Aubrey had sat on the small sink counter.

"They're not in here, Mom," Aubrey told her, picking up a hair tie and rolling it onto her wrist when the braid lifted from her head. Katheryn pulled open a drawer and quickly began apologizing when it hit Aubrey's hip. She grabbed a large hair clip from the drawer and threw her hair up in a ponytail before slamming it shut.

"I found your keys, Mom!" Seth yelled from the living room, jogging to the bathroom door with the keys hooked around his pointer finger. "They were under some papers on the coffee table."

"Thank you," Katheryn sighed, grabbing the keys from her son and tiredly rubbing her forehead with her eyes closed. "I'll be late getting home tonight. Take care of your sister, make sure she's got her homework finished, and help her if she needs any." She stood on her tiptoes to kiss Seth's cheek before pulling away to give him a pointed look. She turned to Aubrey and quickly kissed her cheek. "Make sure your brother doesn't burn down the apartment, please. I'd appreciate having something to come home to."

"Haha, so funny mom," Seth sarcastically laughed and rolled his eyes.

"Let me know how your game goes when I get home, love," Katheryn said as she patted the cheek she kissed.

"Mom, we suck and we're playing the Hawks," Aubrey frowned, letting her elbows dip again as she paused to tilt her head down to look at her mother.

"You used to be so optimistic and full of hope!" Katheryn said, feigning sadness as she sat her hand over her heart. She smiled when Aubrey's expression melted into one of annoyance as she glared at her mom. She blew Aubrey a kiss as she turned and walked down the hall. "I love you both. Don't make dumb choices!"

"We love you and we won't because of it. C'mon, Aubrey, hurry, or we're going to be late," Seth said, nudging Aubrey's calf with the toe of his shoe.