Caramel Macchiato

Brian woke up first, he looked over at Julie still sleeping soundly. She looked so peaceful and so gorgeous. He looked at the clock, it was 7:45. Still early. He sat up on the side of the bed turned around to look at Julie again. He truly could lay in that bed and be with her all day. She still hadn't stirred. He smiled. She just looked right laying in his bed.

Brian got up, put some boxers on, used the bathroom and splashed water on his face. He then made his way to the kitchen. Damn he was out of coffee. He'd completely forgotten about needing to shop. He walked back into the bedroom and checked on her, she was still sleeping. He decided to make a coffee run to the coffee shop down the block. He left her a note on the pillow.

- out of coffee, running to Mocha Joes and I'll be right back. Stay comfy. - B

The door closing behind him woke her. At first she panicked. What was going on? Did he leave? Did someone come in? She rolled over and the paper wrinkled, she grabbed the note and read it. How sweet she thought. She wondered what he would bring her? She wasn't really picky but how would he know.

She laid there and looked around. Man she really hadn't meant to spend the night. This was all moving way to fast. Her relationship with her husband had been like that at first too. A pang of fear ran thru her, " damnit Julie, you're just repeating old bad habits. Get it together."

She jumped up and got dressed.

As Brian was leaving to get coffee he realized he didn't know what she likes. Shit what was he going to get her. He grabbed his phone and called Sal. Hoping that Kelly was there so he could ask her.

Sal answered,"bro it's 8am, is someone bleeding or dead?"

Brian, "no but is Kelly with you?"

Sal,"uh yeah why who's looking for her?" He wondered.

"No one just put her on the phone." Brian said.

"Brian??? Is Julie ok?" Kelly asked when she got on the phone.

"Yeah she's good, I just need to know how she likes her coffee."

"Did you really just call me to ask how my best friend likes her coffee?" She cooed. "That may be the sweetest thing ever."

"Yeah yeah yeah, don't analyze it, just tell me. I wanna get back to the apartment quick."

"She loves anything Caramel. Salted, latte, frapp, whatever."

"Perfect thank you!" He hung up.

Julie was tring to find her shoes when her phone rang. It was Kelly.

"Kel, what's up? You ok?" Julie worried.

"I'm great but I have to tell you what Brian just did." Kelly sounded excited.

"What are you talking about? He said he was just going for coffee? Is he with you?" Julie was confused.

" no dork, he's getting you coffee and the man called Sal so he could talk to me to find out what you liked?"

"Are you kidding me?" Julie was stunned. " that's so sweet."

"I gotta go Kel, I gotta get out of here before he gets back."

"You what?" Kelly questioned, "no you don't, you have to stay until that sweet man comes back with your coffee."

"Kelly this feels just like when I first dated Evan. It's moving to fast and I'm feeling to much. I can't be here when he gets back." Julie said with tears in her eyes.

"Julie, he's not Evan. I think you know that. Evan was a dickhead."

"Kelly I can't talk now I have to go." And she ended the call.

Julie didn't want to go, but this all was to much like the mistake she made in her past and she couldn't let history repeat itself. She grabbed the note he'd written to her and a pen from her purse.

Brian, I'm sorry I couldn't stay to enjoy the coffee. I'll make it up to you. Had to go. Take care, Julie

She grabbed her flats and her purse and raced out the door.

Brian was frustrated standing in line. He should have just ran to the market and bought coffee but he wanted her coffee to be perfect. When he finally got their coffee's he raced back to the apartment. As soon as he opened the door he could tell by the stillness and quiet that she was gone, and his heart sank. Damn. He sat the coffees down on he counter and saw her note. He crumpled it up and threw it across the room. One of the cats jumped off the couch to chase the ball off paper. Brian looked at the coffees. He thought to himself, I should bronze the damn up of caramel machiato. Keep it as a souvenir because he was sure he'd never see her again.