5. Portable Tower

Start from the beginning

"You're alive!" Murphy smiled with delight.

Melock closed the book and set it on the table. 

"A bleak read, anyways. Yes, of course, so sorry to have left you but so glad you made it out. It was a right bit of a challenge for me, actually," said Melock with a flush of embarrassment. 

"How did you? What?" 

"It's a long convoluted story but I found out the hard way that you can't teleport out of the Lich's tomb. We should be safe here tonight, her spirit has no reach beyond the diamond walls of her burial chamber." 

Melock stood and Murphy ran up as if to hug him, then stopped and smiled down at him. He was only slightly shorter than her. He grinned with a sparkle in his old eyes.

"You must be hungry and tired. I took the liberty of making up the guest room." He gestured to the door on the right. "I have quite a bit of work to do this evening, so if you won't mind staying in your room and knocking before you come into mine." 

He opened the door to the guest room and the smell of roasted turkey hit her in the face like a slap. 

"Oh, ok." 

Murphy looked in to see a bedroom that couldn't possibly fit in the tower. She walked through the door in disbelief. There was a king-sized bed, a brass tub filled with steaming water, a crackling fire in the fireplace, and a table set with a freshly prepared feast. 

"Until the morning then?" said Melock. 

"Thank you, it looks marvelous," she said.

"Thank you. I should not have retrieved the dagger without you. I bid you good night." 

"Good night," she said as he closed the door and left. 

Murphy went to the table, grabbed the pitcher of water, and chugged half of it. She tore off a steaming fat turkey leg and took it into the tub with her. On a chair next to the tub was a white silk nightshirt and fine pair of cotton breeches. She got in the bath and submerged her head. 

Morning found her rested and curled in luxurious furs. She walked to the window to look at the sunrise. Outside there were no trees, no forest, just grassland as far as she could see. A great herd of elk grazed in the distance as the sun rose over the savanna. 

Turning, she noticed the table was again set, this time with a wonderful breakfast. On the chair was a fine pair of knee-high boots, hide riding pants, and a matching jacket. Murphy put on her perfectly fitted new clothes, wolfed down her breakfast, and went to knock on Melock's door.

When she knocked, no one answered, so she tried again louder. She waited and knocked again. Waited ten more seconds and reached for the handle. 

"Sorry to keep you waiting," said Melock from behind her.

He came walking up the stairs holding a set of iron forearm bracers. 

"No trouble at all. Thank you for the shelter and fine clothing. I haven't worn such shoes since I was married. And the food..." 

Her face beamed with gratitude. 

"I'm afraid I'm not much for weaponry or armor, but I'd like you to have these. And since we are here, I'd like to invite you to join me on a quick visit to Sid's place." 

He handed her the armguards. 

"They should fit nicely over your jacket. Now, if you're ready, we'll be going." 

He pointed out the sitting room windows. Across a vast landscape stood a massive citadel with towers rising out of the planes. 

"The great Western Kingdom. I like to port directly into Sid's tower. It saves us the trouble of travel, town guards, questions, audiences with the King, etc., etc." 

"How did we get here?" 

"Well, this is my portable tower. It's very handy. Follow me."

Melock led her down to the center floor, directed her to stand on a yellowish rune, and zap. Murphy's skin chilled and her hairs stood on end. It was as if she closed her eyes and opened them only to find herself in a slightly different room filled with runes. She looked down at her feet and was standing on the same design as before. 

"Who's your friend?" asked a robust portly man sitting on the stairs. 

Melock rushed forward taking the man's hand in his and pulling him from his seat. 

"Luculentus Dicax Sid meet Sister John Murphy." 

Sid was a chubby round-faced pleasant fellow; grandfatherly in appearance with messy unkempt gray hair and a full white beard of many years growth. He smiled with thick full lips and extended a plump hand with short stubby fingers. 

"The pleasure is mine. Conqueror of the Varan Lich's tomb and thwarter of the evil warlock Kulju. Your reputation proceeds you," said Sid. 

Murphy shook his warm soft hand.

"Melock seems to think Kulju will return again. This is the second time I've killed him." 

Sid let out a jolly laugh, took her by the arm, and led them both upstairs.