Chapter 43 - The Letter

The bed felt unusually empty every time I woke up the next few days without Liam by my side but today was the day all students returned to school

Sure enough Laim was waiting for me as I parked the car in the very overcrowded parking lot

"Do me a favour if your going to make out don't do it in front of me" Poppy says as we climb out of the car

I chuckle as I walk over to Laim.

"Hey you." I say kissing him on the cheek.

"Hey" he replies hugging me.

"Ugh barf" comes a voice from behind us We spin round to see Brooke and Diego walking over.

I could have sworn I saw one of those looks exchanged between the pair of them but I couldn't be sure.

My cousin and my best friend, my cousin and my best friend kissing, ew.

I push the though from my mind as its making Me a bit uncomfortable.

Poppy had already gone in with her friends we may be kinda getting along at home but at school was a whole other story. The snarky comments had stopped but she still ignored me, I think we both preferred it that way.

We head into form where it is just us four,Poppy, Ruby and Mr Lewis there at the moment.

"Morning you four" Mr Lewis says " Liam I heard the good news and I'm so glad it worked out for you.

"What good news?" Asks Ruby sticking her nose in where it doesn't belong.

"His chlamydia test came back negative" Diego says with a chuckle.

Ruby just rolls her eyes and goes back to her conversation with Poppy

"Nice one!" Laim says hi-fiving Diego

"Yeah" replies Brooke "that's such a good comeback"

"Thanks" Diego replies smiling at her under his Mask.

There it was again a unusual interaction between Brooke and Diego. There must be something going on between the two of them

I've known Brooke long enough to know when she's keeping something from me.

I'll interrogate her about it later I tell myself as more members of the form enter.

The school day gets underway and it is as dull as ever

In chemistry we did Alkanes and alkenes niether of which I understood, I don't think it helped the fact that the teacher was a complete asshole who only focused on the high achieving students mainly Abbi and Ella who Get top grades in everything.

Then English we did Romeo and Juliet and the teacher ended up sending Liam out for mocking her. Not going to lie it was very accurate the over the top shouting and enthusiasm and the big complicated words that no one understood.

Spanish was next Shit as ever, and this time it was my turn to be sent out for getting 100% on the spelling/grammar test. God I can't wait to be Rid of Miss Franks.

After lunch we had double Mr Lewis with lifeskills and Maths.

In life skills we did dealing with grief and Loss ,not that Liam and I needed a lesson on that of course. He spent most of the lesson with his head on my shoulder not really engaging.

I used the start of a group activity to ask Mr Lewis  if we could go outside for a bit, of course he said yes.

We went out onto the field where Mr Lewis could see us out the window.

We sat on a bench and I pulled him into my arms.

"It will get easier" I say my eyes brimming with tears " it may take a while but it will get better"

He pulls out or my grasp and takes my hands in his own.

"Thanks Jess" he says smiling at me

"What for?" I ask confused

"You've done so much for me these last few weeks more than I could ever ask I'm so fucking grateful you have no idea"

"I love you" I say hugging him again

"I love you too" he replies kissing me gently.

We spend the rest of the lesson catching up about home life without each other before heading back in for our maths lesson.

Mr Lewis was attempting to explain surds and how to add them together, hes not making much headway.

Then the secretary knocks on the door.

"Sorry to interrupt Mr Lewis by there is a letter for Jessica Casey" she says holding up an envelope.

Mr Lewis thanks her and passed the letter over to me.

I gasp, there is the CFD logo in the top corner.

The letter must be the answer to my application to the Academy.

My hands shake as I open the envelope and pull out the letter, Liam, Brooke and Diego have all stopped working and are waiting eagerly for me to read the letter.

This letter could make or break my future. My whole career reloes on this, I have no back up plan this is it for me.

What I will do if I don't get in I have no idea what I will do.

My hands shake even more as I unfold the paper and begin to read the first few lines

Dear Miss Casey,

Thank you for your application to study In our student Paramedic programme,

I can now inform you that..........