Chapter 18 - 6 hours

"Hey check this out"

it was after dinner on a Saturday afternoon and I was on face time with Liam.

"What an earth is that meant to be?" He says laughing

"My latest piece of artwork" I say proudly

My art teacher had set us a task of doing a still life sketch of objects we had lying around and for some reason we had rather a lot of fruit at the moment so that was what I had drawn

"I can see that but it's a pineapple and some bannanas"

Liam was built quite a lot like his dad, tall strong and muscular. He was more physical and played a lot of sports so it's safe to say staying up late painting pineapples wasn't really his thing.

"Its not finished yet it needs more shading, I also need to define the apple a bit more......."

"Jess slow down" he says laughing " You can tell me about this all you want but it doesn't mean I'll understand"

I smile back at him "Oh yeah I forget that sometimes"

"Its fine, at least we have something to talk about I suppose"

"I'd rather talk about art than Soccer"

"How dare you" he says pretending to be offended

And then we just burst out Laughing. I roll around on my bed for a good five minutes trying to calm down but everything I look back at the screen I just start laughing again.

"Come on it wasn't that funny" Liam says more amused by my sudden outburst of laughter than whatever tha actual joke was

"Oh I don't know" I say rolling over to face my laptop again

"Whatever floats your boat I guess"

"Shut up"

Just then I hear my dad calling me from downstairs.

"I've got to go have dinner, talk later" I say

"Yeah OK, bye"

"Byeeeeee" and we both hang up. I get up off my bed with a loud sigh and make my way downstairs Ellie at my heal.

________________

2 days later

6 hours,

6 hours 51 had been out on a call,

We were sat around the table munching on sandwiches when the bells went off requesting all of 51s resources plus several others all over the city.

I knew all to well by the time they got back they would be hungry and both physically and emotionally exhausted. So I made the decision to pull myself from the rest of my lessons and get everything in order by the time they got back.

I had emailed my form tutor to let him know why I wasn't going to be in any afternoon lessons and he was completely understanding and told him to let him know if i needed anything.

I had the TV on in the background and they were reporting on the fire, it was a high rise fire, which were technically difficult to manage. All I could do was hope that everyone made it out safe.

I had cleaned the common room and made chilli and nachos for the guys when they got in and had also walked a couple blocks to the nearest dounut shop and bought several boxes, dounuts made things better after a bad day.

At around half past 7 I heard the roller doors begin to open and then I saw the rigs pull onto the apparatus floor.

I could tell they were tired by the looks on thier faces. But when he saw me a smile formed on my dad's face

"Jess have you been cooking?" He asks peering into the pot of chili on the stove.

"Yeah, I skipped my lessons this afternoon and tided up the lunch stuff, made chilli and bought dounuts because I knew you guys would be tired when you got back"

"You didn't have to do that" he says pulling me in for a hug

"I know but family is more important than school and I can catch up the work I missed"

Dad hugs me agin as the rest of the team begin to serve themselves bowels of chilli and rice.

Chief Boden walks in about halfway through the meal.

"I just wanted to thank you all for your efforts today that wasn't an easy fire to deal with" he says patting gallo who was nearest him on the shoulder

"But I just need to let you know I just received a call from Sergeant Voight letting me know he is sending some people over to take statements from you all"

"Wait this was Arson?" Says Ritter looking up

"OFI have reason to belive the fire was intetionaly set yes"

"Chief would you like some chilli?" I say holding up a bowl

"Thank you Jess that would be great" he says turning to me

"You made this?"

"Yes sir"

"This is just what we need after a day like this thank you"

He then walks out taking his dinner to his office.

One by one the members of Firehouse  51 left the room. I expected they were going to either shower or lie down trying to process what had happened at that fire.