Chapter 28 - Embarrassment in the form of rescue squad

There was about 45 minutes left of our final lesson for the day when there is a knock at the classroom door and the school secretary sticks her head in.

"Sorry to interrupt Mr Lewis but there is quite a scary police sergant at the office wanting to talk with Laim Halstead" she says quickly.

Mr Lewis looks at us and the secretary before saying "I didn't realise you were going early"

"Niether did I " Liam replys

"did the Cop tell you his name" I ask her.

"Errrr Voight I think......Yes that was it Sergeant Hank Voight from the Intelligence Unit he also said you were expecting him"

"Yeah I am" Liam replys Looking at me nervously "I'll be right down"

The secretary smiles at him and walks out shutting the door behind her.

Laim begins to shove his pencil cases in his bag as Mr Lewis carries on teaching.

As we get up Poppy asks Mr Lewis a Question.

"Sir what's going on why is there a police Sergeant at the office

Mr Lewis looks at her crossly.

"Poppy this is the second time I've asked you to mind your own business once more and I will give you detention"

I smile at Laim "see you later" I say squeezing my hand.

He nods but doesn't say anything and walks out.

Mr Lewis continues teaching but all I can think about is Laim.

It had been a long time since he had last seen his mother and now he was meeting her after the worst news a person can possibly receive.

The rest of the lesson drags on for longer than normal and the fact I was constantly being pestered by my classmates about where Liam was.

But eventually Mr Lewis lets us all go.

Brooke Deigo and I walked out before the rest of the class no need to linger as we had noone we needed to talk to.

"You going home or to 51?" Deigo askes me

"I'm walking to 51 then voights dropping Liam there later" I tell him

"Dad's getting me today said he finished early when spoke to him at lunch" Deigo tells us

"And I'm just driving myself" Brooke adds

We reach the main entrance of the school building and, For fucks sake, I see the squad rig parked on the other side of the car park.

Both Brooke and deigo burst out Laughing.

"Well then JC I'll be seeing you later" says Deigo as I wave at Antonio whose parked sat in his car a little way from us

"And I'm going to go too" says Brooke "first Laim gets collected by a cop now you get picked up in a freaking fire engine good luck keeping your head down now"

I roll my eyes as she had just said exactly what I was thinking and by now the rest of my class had reached the door and of course they were staring at the rig.

And to top things off Kelly sticks his whole body out the window and waves at me.

I just roll my Eyes and walk over to them

"What the fuck are you doing here" I say as I reach the rig and Kelly hops down to greet me.

I also hear a laugh from behind me and sure enough poppy and her gang of bitches are there staring at Kelly like he was some kinda model.

"Well Capp wanted ice cream so I figured you could join us to take your mind of that boyfriend of yours"

He knew Me too well

"Thanks I say I'd love to come with you" I say grateful as Cruz opens the back door for me.

Just as I'm about to get in I hear Poppy call out to me

"Hey Jess are you going to introduce us to anyone your fireman friends?"

I roll my eyes I know for a face she's only being nice to me because she thinks Kelly is fit.

"I've told you before it's Firefighters not firemen" I say trying to brush her off.

But she's not giving up that easily

"Ok thanks for reminding me, are you going to introduce us."

"Sorry i can't we've got to get back to the Firehouse before any calls come in" I can tell by the look on her face that pisses her off but I just ignore her and climb into the rig.

"She seemed nice" Kelly says from the front seat.

"She's not, she's the one I punched in September" I tell him "and besides she's only talking to me because she thinks your fit"

Kelly Deffinatly wasn't expecting me to say that and the look on his face was hilarious.

"Awwww Lieutenant have you got yourself an admirer" I say taking the piss even more.

"Shut up" Kelly says turning his back on me.

"Tony lets get going" He says obviously changing the subject.

"I'm so ready for that ice cream" Capp says excitedly.

"Capp you are such a child" Cruz says jokingly

We all laugh Capp included.

I was grateful to them for picking me up and happy that I'd have a bit of a distraction for a little while