40. Mission Accomplished.

Chapter 40: Mission Accomplished.

I knew it.

I knew it.

I knew it.

I knew that there was something off between Zachary and Hannah. From the moment I saw that picture in Hannah's drawer. I can't believe they lied to me for so long.

"Apparently, they didn't lie to you. They just didn't tell you." My subconscious chips in.

Same thing.

"You dated Hannah?" I ask him.

"Yeah. It was like the tenth grade. You weren't here, I don't have to explain anything." Zachary says, coldly.

Who is he?

I don't recognize him anymore.

He just...changed.

"Look, Valarie, we weren't serious. We just went on like three dates and we kissed. Nothing major." Hannah tells me and I drop my fork on my plate. The sound echoes throughout the tent, that's how quiet it was in here.

"You were my best friend." I say, tears threatening to spill out of my eyes.

"You weren't even dating him. And it wasn't that serious." She says, rolling her eyes at me.

"I have no words for you right now." I tell her. "And Adam I asked you if they dated and you lied to me." I say, looking at Adam.

"I didn't lie, I had no idea that they even dated. When you left town, Hannah and I weren't even talking to each other. You're the one that brought us together and when you left we just grew apart. So, I didn't know anything." He says, raising his hand in fake surrender.

"Why do you care? It's not like you're with him now?" Courtney asks me.

"Yeah. You're right. He's Heather's problem now." I say, faking a smile.

I feel Zachary staring at me but I don't even pay him any attention.

"So, Courtney, how is business? I heard you're now the CEO of Bridgeport Co." I ask her.

"Business is running smoothly. I decided to skip the whole college scene and stay back here in Langston to manage the company." She tells me and I nod.

"Your father would be very proud." I say, cutting my steak.

"He would." She replies.

***

Dinner ends and Adam, Ashley and I start walking towards Adam's car.

"Wait." Zachary yells behind me.

"Stop following me, Zach." I say, walking faster.

"Hey." He screams, grabbing my hand and turning me around.

"Let go of me. What is wrong with you?" I ask him, struggling to get my arm out of his strong grip.

"I'm sorry I wasn't honest with you from the start." He apologizes.

"No, you're not." I tell him, shaking my head.

"I am, Vee." He tells me, letting go of my arm.

"You're only apologizing so I don't go back to hating you again, but it's not going to work this time. I want nothing to do with you. You're fucking disgusting. Looking at you right now makes my skin crawl. I can't believe I wasted all this time fantasizing about this fairytale life with you and you were just lying to my face. I've been defending you for the past two years, but I'm done." I say, trying not to cry.