"The other way around's true, too. If you want, I can leave you alone with Ad-"

"N-No, it's fine," I interrupt her, looking down again, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have interrupted you."

"It's okay, Sierra. It is not a crime to interrupt someone," Adam says, "do you need me to leave?"

"No, you can stay," I say hesitantly, not entirely sure of my decision. I look up and see Liz frowning at me. She looks at Adam and he pats his pocket, raising his eyebrows.

"Well, would you look at that!" he exclaims, taking out his phone in his hand, "my boss is calling me. Unfortunately," he continues, getting up, "I'll need to take this call. Would it be okay if Lizzie stays here and talks with you instead?"

"Yes," I say, sighing.

"Great. It was nice meeting you, Sierra," he says and leaves the room.

"He's a dummy," Liz says, cracking a wide grin. I smile falsely, my heart thumping louder.

What do I say to that?

She could get really upset either way.

"Are you okay, Sierra?" she asks me, keeping her hand on my anxious fingers. I flinch back, and she gently withdraws her hands.

"Yes, Liz."

"Okay, can I ask you some questions, now?"

"Yes," I say, my heart pounding in my chest, my breaths uneven.

"You can just tell me whenever you are uncomfortable, and I'll stop. Okay?" 

"Yes, I will tell you."

"You should know that I won't tell anyone what you say. People won't know what happened to you, just those who are trying to find the person who held you," she says, pausing. I stay quiet, waiting for her to say something.

"Okay, Sierra?"

"Yes, Liz," I reply robotically.

"I want to hear the whole story, everything you can remember, even if you don't think it's important. Could you tell me that?" she asks, holding a pen and notepad in her hand.

"Y-Yes." And I tell her everything from the start.

Except for many things.

Most of the things.

"Let's see if I understood you correctly. So, this man, whose name you do not know, kept you in a room, hurt you once because you tried to escape, and gave you chores to do at home?"

"Yes, Liz."

"How did he hurt you, Sierra?" she asks me. The metallic collar, the cold room, the bloody high-chair, the table where he had sex with me, the broken ankles: everything flashes through my mind as I squint my eyes shut, trying to replace the bad memories with the good ones.

When he kissed me every time I brought him breakfast.

How he took care of me after I hurt.

And how he had sex with me.

"It's okay. Take your time," she says kindly.

I thought about what could biologically show up in any check-up, and I say, "he broke both my ankles and cut me with a knife," I say, rubbing my sweater-covered arms where the long scars ran. My screams echo in my ears as my eyes well up.

Happy memories.

When he stroked my head as I kneeled in front of me.

How he called me a 'good girl' whenever I followed his rules.

My heart warms up again.

I am worse than Kayden. I left him after all he did for me.

"Are there scars on your body?" she asks me.

"Yes, on my arms and thighs," I say the truth, knowing that lies, where they could be proved wrong, would get me nowhere.

"Can I see the ones on your arms, Sierra?" 

"Yes, Liz," I say, raising up my sleeves. I hear a low gasp, but dare not look at her.

"You can cover them," she says, and I obey.

"Is there anything else you want to tell me?"

"No, I told you everything I remember," I say, looking up at her.

"Okay, Sierra. Here is my card," she says, handing me a card named 'Elizabeth Cooper', "call me if you wanna talk, or tell me anything, okay?"

"Yes, Liz," I reply.

"Awesome. Thank you for talking with me, Sierra. It was nice knowing you," she says, her tone friendly and caring. "Can I hug you?"

I freeze, "yes, of course," I say, unhesitantly. She gently wraps her arms around me and I awkwardly return the hug.

"I hope you feel well, soon, Sierra," she says and gets up from the bed. "Bye!" she waves and leaves the room.

Flashback over.

I told them as little as I could so that Kayden could not be convicted. I wish I could see him right now. He would be very proud of me.

Author's Note:

Guys, Stockholm syndrome is real. Sierra was subjected to feeling like a slave to Kayden for months on end, and however she felt in his presence, being without him is worse. She feels addicted to the 'security' Kayden gave her.

I am not romanticizing this shit, so wait for the story to turn before you attack me.

Thank you.

QOTD: Do you feel Sierra's feelings are justified?

Vote, please!

Show some love!