Chapter 20: Never alone

Start from the beginning

"Jeez, didn't I tell you to keep up on your homework." Austin glared at the joke.

Max patted their shoulders pointedly. They slumped, accepting the fun was over. "There's always tomorrow, alright? Might just be you and me though, Dylan's gonna b-

"And Shay." Kyle nodded to the little girl in one of the chairs. Ever the quite one. Max smiled softly, stroking her patchy bob. "Shay too. Maybe we'll finally get you that haircut. Join our cult."

Max grabbed the boys bald heads, wiggling them around. The two made goofy sounds, trying to get her to laugh like always.

The girl smirked a little into her sleeve. Kyle grinned at the way Max nearly melted from the cuteness.

"Yeah, join our cult. The Crome Dome." Austin grinned.

"That's freakin genious." Dylan snapped. "Call ourselves the combovers!..wait, why can't I join?"

"Your gonna be busy." Max shrugged as if that was obvious. The boy only then realized. "Be a good big brother, okay?"

"But she won't even remember anything."

"Doesn't matter." Max shouted as they made their way out the door, stuff in hand. "You got this! Be good, especially you Shay!"

"Ay." Max grinned, grabbing hurriedly at the tray of food. "Thank you." He corrected himself after having stuffed his mouth full. Kyle grunted, setting his down at the seats Max had saved for them.

They were camped out on one of the terraces of the hospital, outdoor seating and a ledge seperating them from the tall view of the city.

That was one thing Kyle loved about visiting the guy, the view. Especially at night, it was chilly and you could come out and watch the traffic and feel the breeze.

Max used to love it as well. But after long enough, things begin to lose their spark.

Max tried his best to be happy but it was clear he felt trapped. It was difficult loving someone who couldn't be helped, no matter how hard you wished.

"I'm glad your feeling better."

"Comes and goes. Mm..mostly goes. Gotta use it while it lasts." He shrugged, smiling a litte. "Gimme a few days, I'll be back to normal."

"I hope not." Kyle replied.

"Hey." Max muttered, wiping at his lips. "If you don't like watching the kids with me I mean..you don't have to come. Don't feel like you have to."

"I don't." Kyle said plainly, taking a bite. He eyed the man a second later. "What made you think so?"

"Oh come on, man." He said as if it was obvious. Kyle nodded, guessing he understood. But to be fair, he reacted that way to most things. It wasn't inherently because he despised them, not at all.

"Your very close with them. It's your time together, I'm the guest." He shrugged simply. "It's just being courteous."

Max grimaced a little, not liking something he'd said. Kyle couldn't figure out what exactly until he spoke, "They like you, you know. Dude, your like the..silent, skilled, humble badass from all those anime's."
Kyle groaned at the notion, making the guy laugh.