Chapter 11: 7AM on Bridle Path

Start from the beginning

"What?" Melody exclaims, "let me see."

I turn the phone around so Melody can see our mom. She is standing in the living room with a bag next to her. 

"If you two don't mind the business that pays y'all."

"What's his name?" Melody asks.

"Yeah mama, what's his name?" I mug her.

"For y'all information, I am not going nowhere with no man. I am going to visit your Aunt Erykah."

"Ohh," Melody and I say at the same time.

"I have today and tomorrow off and I figured I could go and spend some time with my younger sister. We're going to the spa."

"Sorry for accusing you," I say.

"Mmhmm, maybe this will teach y'all to mind y'all damn business," my mom rolls her eyes, "Now before I leave, would you like me to drop you off at the hospital?"

"Yes, that would be great," I say.

"Well you better hurry up before I leave yo ass."

I hurry up and go to my room to get dressed. I put my phone on my dresser so Melody can still see me. As I finally get my phone in the correct position, I accidentally hang up on Melody. Figuring that she would just call back, I go put my underwear on. As I go to find a shirt to wear, I get a facetime call notification. I answer, knowing that its Melody and continue to look for a shirt. For a few seconds, it is silent, until a voice finally comes through.

"Fuck," I hear the sound of a male's voice.

I hurriedly get out of my bent over position and go to my phone. I look at my phone and see that the facetime has ended. I look at the recent calls, and realize that it was Axel who just called me. I hurry up and throw on some basketball shorts and a random shirt. I pick up my phone and facetime Axel.

"Axel?" I ask when he answers but all I see is black.

"Is it safe to look?" I hear his muffled voice.

"Yes, I'm dressed."

Axel slowly lifts up his phone. When he is positive that I am dressed, he fully shows his face.

"Hey, I'm sorry about earlier," he begins to apologize.

"There's no need for you to apologize. I thought that you were Melody calling me back and I didn't make sure it was."

"Are you sure, because I feel bad about invading your privacy."

"It was an accident, Axel."

"Ok," Axel says, "so what time are you going to the hospital?"

"I'm actually about to leave now. Visiting hours start in thirty minuets."

"Girl, you better hurry up before you gotta catch the bus," my mom's voice hits my ears.

I slide my feet into my Nike slides and grab my purse from the back of my door. I put the purse over my shoulder and walk out of my room. I see that my mom is not in the front room and hurriedly grab my house keys from the hook by the door. I make sure the bottom lock is locked and run out the door. I use my key to lock the top lock of the door and sprint to my mom's car.

"Damn, you couldn't give me a few more minutes," I say once I am in the car, to which, I get a smack in the head to.

"What I say about cussing?" she begins to pull out of the driveway, "and if you wouldn't have been flirting with Axel, you would have been ready."

"First off, nobody was flirting," I say, "second, how you know I was on the phone with him?"

"Girl, I got ears like a bat. I hear everything," she says, "oh, by the way, hey Axel."

"Hello," Axel says.

The rest of the car ride to the hospital is spent with me talking to Axel and my mom making side comments here and there. My mom finally drops me off and I see visiting hours don't start for another fifteen minuets. I walk over to the Wendy's across the street and get breakfast. By the time I am done with my food, visiting hours have begun. I go to the hospital and check in to see my sister.

"Hey," I say as soon as I enter the room.

"Hey, girl, hey," Melody says, "so what are we watching today?"

"I'm thinking of watching some Disney movies today," I say.

"Y'all should watch 'An Extremely Goofy Movie', Axel's voice comes through the phone, "it's one of my favorites."

"Is that your boyfriend?" Melody looks at me with a smug smile on her face.

"No," I roll my eyes, "we are just friends."

"Well, let me say hi," she reaches her hand out for my phone.

I hand her my phone and she begins to have a short conversation with Axel. After she is done, she hands the phone back to me.

"I'm going to go ahead and spend some quality time with my sister, I'll call you before I leave here," I say to Axel.

"Ok, see you later tonight," he says before ending the facetime.

"Later tonight, hmmm," Melody says.

"It's not like that. We're going to a party tonight," I look down, twiddling my thumbs.

"Oh that's great, your first party."

"You're not mad?"

"Why would I be mad?"

"I just feel bad," I sit at the foot of her bed, "I'm going out to a party, when you're in here."

"Girl, I want you to go out and have fun. You do not have to put your life on hold for me. I know that you love and care for me and you're there whenever I need you to be. That is all that matters."

I lean over and we embrace in a hug. The guilt that I have been feeling all day starts to dissipate, and a sense of relief feels its place.

"Now," I pull out of the hug but keep my arms on her arms, "let's watch some movies."

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey dreamers,

I just want to say thank you for reading this story

It really means alot to me

24_7_dreamer