Chapter 6: Text Messages

For some time after (Y/N) realized she liked Shikamaru, she tried telling Naruto multiple times but backed down because Naruto was starting to hang out with Hinata more, and she felt a little obligated to get the two together. Anyhow, it was the Thursday of the same week that (Y/N) spent the evening with Shikamaru. (Y/N) was walking through the hallways trying to get to her next class, when she spotted Naruto.

(Y/N) walked up to him, "Hey Naruto, I haven't seen you in awhile."

"Yeah, sorry about that (Y/N)-chan, but what's up?" Naruto said.

"I actually wanted to tell you something." (Y/N) replied.

"Yeah, sure what is- wait woah, is that Shikamaru and Temari?"

(Y/N) directed her attention to what Naruto was referring to. From the end of the hallway, Shikamaru and Temari seemed to be standing in front of each other, they seemed to be talking. (Y/N) immediately knew why Naruto said the thing he said in the way he did. Even without (Y/N)'s acknowledgement to the context, it was obvious by their stances, their demeanor, and how close they were to each other, what was happening. It seemed intimate, and anyone could imagine what exactly was going on. By now, Naruto and (Y/N) were a few steps away from being in front of Shikamaru and Temari.

"(Y/N)-chan, look, they're hugging." Naruto whisper-shouted, laughing lightly.

They were.

"Hey you two, are you guys dating, or what?" Naruto asks.

Temari and Shikamaru instinctively pulled away from each other. Just as they seemed absolutely startled, they both immediately regained their perfect, cool composers.

"No, we are not dating. We just talked some things through and Shikamaru offered a hug, so I received one." Temari calmly explained.

Shikamaru just nodded, "Yep, so I have to go, if you don't mind."

Shikamaru waved, and turned around the corner.

"Hey, (Y/N), can we talk?" Temari asked.

"Yeah, um, sure. Naruto, talk to you after school, 'kay?" (Y/N) waved at him.

"See you (Y/N)-chan!" Naruto said.

Naruto went to catch up with Shikamaru and most probably ask him what happened with Temari.

"So, what is it, Temari?" (Y/N) asked.

"We talked about what happened, we sorted things out." Temari said. smiling widely.

Temari smiled some more, not talking for a while, which was a bit awkward, then said, "Oh, uh, I'm sorry I spaced out for a while haha..."

"That's alright, well um, what was sorted out?" (Y/N) inquired more.

Temari explained, "Oh yeah, so he apologized for ignoring me for most of the week, and he explained that he did have feelings for me. And when I reassured him that I had feelings for him too, he asked me on a date! I told him, 'A date with me could be quite a drag, you sure?' We both laughed and he said that it wouldn't. Just when Naruto and you came, was when Shikamaru apologized again and gave me a hug."

(Y/N) could just tell how excited Temari was. The way she talked about the events, and how glad and relieved she seemed, made (Y/N) feel guilty for wanting to stop the date somehow. Of course she wouldn't interfere with Shikamaru and Temari's date but the thought still lingered in (Y/N)'s mind.

"Yeah, I'm pleased to hear you are so delighted, Temari." (Y/N) smiled, feeling a little dread deep in her stomach.

"Thanks (Y/N)-chan, I can't help but feel like I owe you. Our talk really helped me." Temari responded.