14.3. Plan, Parley and Punishment

Comenzar desde el principio

Was that a compliment or condescension? "Yuvan!"

He winced, looking up. The credulous look in his eyes was wholly detectable. "Yes, Your Majesty."

"Go to Ashwant and tell him about Ira Zutshi. Convey my condolences and help him gather whatever's left of her, alright?" I asked, having my heart constricted. Pruthvi removed his glasses and wiped the moisture.

Yuvan nodded. "I will."

"Not only that. I got another job for you. It's a bit dodgy one, but you have to step up and do it anyway."

Yuvan nodded again.

"How good are you at spreading rumors?"

He looked around at the others, and jittered a little, finding them watching him closely. "Well, er, I used to gossip about you with my friends but..."

"Good. That is what exactly I want you to do. Tell me, did you break the news about Shashi abducting us to anyone? Other than to King Aghasthya and his knights, I mean." Yuvan hurriedly shook his head. "Now you will. Gather some friends and go around the country, however far you can, dressed in disguise and upon your horses. All you need to do is talk about us. You'll speak with person after person, dynasty after dynasty, and make sure everyone knows that Formation Samagraha has been abducted again, and Shashi Thribhuvan has got us. You will not rest until word of mouth reaches Panchayat. Knights are maintaining constant vigilance so make sure you don't get caught in a lie. Got it?"

Yuvan gaped at me, lost and confused, and bit his lip. He wasn't comfortable with the task, and that discomforted me a bit. However, certain things and values needed to be compromised. "Just be strong and confident about what you say. Make it sound believable, that's what matters. And never worry about getting caught, I got your back." My stone burned. "And, also Singh."

"I'll do it," he said, "I'm good at it. But...there's something else I need to ask before you leave."

I'm aware of that. "What is it?"

"That was Yodhin Ojha, wasn't it?" he said. "I saw him when he was fighting with Singh. It was really him."

Pruthvi stared at me with a 'the guy deserves to know'' expression.

Yuvan continued, "And I know that he is not what he's supposed to be. He's Shashi. So, does this mean Yodhin is dead?"

I sighed softly. "I'm afraid so."

"Are you certain?"

"Shashi killed Yodhin before he took over his body. So, I guess..."

"You guess? We don't have proof that he is dead, do we?"

"Zarina Khan told me," Pruthvi said, seeking his attention. "She specifically mentioned that he is dead."

"Did she actually use the word 'dead'?"

Pruthvi paused, his brows creasing. "Yes, she did."

"And we're inclined to believe her?"

"After every nasty situation we'd been through, one thing is certain everything Zarina Khan had predicted or stated as a matter of fact has always been true. She had always been truthful for all the money she gobbled."

Yuvan looked uncertain.

"What's bothering you, Yuvan?" I asked.

"I was wondering if there's any chance, any at all for Yodhin to be still alive? Is it not possible to rip Shashi from Yodhin's body? We can save an innocent from death. Can you do that? He's after all my family. Can you at least try?"