"What's wrong? You seem bothered." He asked with a smile that showed his amusement in the obvious.

"Because you're standing in my way." The alcohol started talking.

He shook his head and chuckled as he turned to look in the same direction that I was looking in. "I think it has more to do with that." He whispered, referring to Gia and Mattia. They were joined by Tia, Anthony and Marco.

"How come they're having fun while you're walking around with such a sad face?"

I bit down on my teeth.

"It's because they don't care about you. None of them do. Well, maybe Marco does. I saw him following you around like a puppy. But, if you really think about it— he might be doing that for a reason."

"What reason?" I looked up at him.

"You're the second biggest shareholder of a multi-million dollar company that his father owned. You have what should've been his. At least, that's what I would think if I were him."

I gulped, "Marco isn't like that."

"I'm sure you thought well about Mattia too, didn't you? You're such a positive spirit." He took a deep breath. "But, if you ever have a change of mind— come look for me. I'll be around."

My throat burned and I badly needed to pee. I pushed against his side and rushed to find the nearest bathroom which was occupied. In my mind I was floating when I coursed through the huge house until I came across another bathroom. I rushed in only to come face to face with a horror sight that completely sobered me up.

"OH MY GOD!" My hand flew to cover my mouth when I walked in on Marissa devouring Tobias' mouth in a full on make-out session as their hands wandered down each others bodies. His pants were undone and he had hiked her dress up.

I ran out of the bathroom with a broken heart as if I was the one who got cheated on. I did not think twice before I set my mind on telling Anthony. I might have been drunk but this was the first time that I was thinking clearly.

I searched for Anthony until I found him. But, just as I was about to walk to him I felt a strong grip on my arm.

"Don't do that." His voice echoed through my dizzy head.

"Stop!" I yelled at Marco who dragged me outside by the arm. "Let go! Anthony deserves to know the truth." I kept repeating as I tried to pull away from him.

He sighed as he let go of my arm. "It isn't your secret to tell."

I pushed him against the chest when he least expected it. I could not hold my anger in any longer. A Mulaney needed to taste my outrage.

"You knew!" I started hitting him with my fists as he tried to block my swings. "You made me ask him out. You made me make a fool of myself."

"Stop. Stop. Stop!" He held my arms. "Nuelle!" He said in a strict voice as I tried to free myself from his grip.

My head hurt and I was sad, mad— and above all exhausted. I dropped my arms, giving up the fight.

Marco took a step back and ran both his hands through his hair, holding his head. "I'm sorry. I– I didn't know," he pointed at the party that was now quite literally taking place behind us. "I didn't know about this. About any of it. I swear, I didn't know back then." His voice cracked.

"You're full of shit." I said as I was about to walk away.

"And you aren't? Huh? If Gia didn't know about you and Mattia and I were the one to tell her, how would you feel?" He said in an aggressive tone.

Tears prickled my eyes. I gulped not knowing how to reply.

"Is it really Marissa that you're so upset about? Or is it the fact that Mattia just got engaged? I tried to warn you about him, but I was the crazy one, right? Do you like being treated that way? Is that what I need to do?"

His words stung me and made my anger reach a level higher than I could control. I did not realize that my hand had met his face until the sound of the slap reached my ears.

Marco was shocked, we both were. But he remained calm. I chewed the inside of my cheek, unable to move. He took a step forward and slowly his arms wrapped around me. I did not push him away, instead I embraced it.

Perhaps, this was what I was missing— intimacy. The feeling that someone cared. I just happened to look for it in all the wrong places. Not that Marco was the right place, but maybe just accidentally placed at the right time.

I felt his lips brush against my forehead before they were lightly pushed against my skin, placing a kiss.

"Come on, we need to get back inside." He said when raindrops wet us.

I shook my head, "I don't want to see them right now."

"I understand," he took his keys out of his pocket and took me by the hand, leading me to the car.

He opened the door to the passenger seat and waited until I had gotten in before he circled around the car to get in on the other side.

"This whole thing is a fucking joke." He said after a moment of silence.

The car was facing the house and we could see the party in motion. "Those two can't stand each other but they'll sure as hell pretend." He pointed at Cleo and Gia who were engaged in a conversation of their own.

"My sister," he let out a frustrated sigh, still not able to accept what he had seen.

"When did you find out?" I was curious to know.

"After Mattia's accident. I looked into what Tobias was up to," he briefly paused. "When he declined your offer, I knew that something wasn't right. But, I thought it had something to do with the accident. I didn't want to believe it until now."

"I thought she loved Anthony."

He turned towards me, "She does. But, she has always been in love with Tobias. If—" he stopped himself from continuing.

"If what?"

"Nothing. Nothing can justify this behavior. I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier. And I'm sorry about the way I acted towards you." His hand gently reached for mine.

His apology felt sincere, but somehow I could not get Rafael's words out of my mind.