12. Clash of Wills

Start from the beginning

Soon the ramifications began to appear during this peace operation and I understood what villagers had meant by allowing evil. It wasn't about the Gargs and their peculiar methods of ruling their people. It wasn't about politics at all. But the magic and the unfortunate situations related to it have now suddenly become every king's worst nightmare.

The last of the Second Generation Samagraha had been declared dead decades ago. The concerns regarding the illegal usage of dark magic had almost been non-existent. Unfortunately, changes are occurring. Is it really a coincidence that more and more children from different clans are practicing dark magic in the land shared by Rawat and Madhyakshetra? We are used to living with the fear of an Almourah attack, should we now live with the fear of stray mages too?

It is a well-known fact that anyone could be born with magic in the country. Since it was hard to keep track, Kings of ancient times had declared practicing magic illegal unless born in the Clan of Maya. It is regarded as a sinful act and against human nature. It is against the law as well, and kings over the centuries have followed this as a tradition that is to punish each and every willful disobedience.

But mages have started to retaliate as a consequence of this law. They have threatened the kings to plague this country with Comalica Virus if the laws aren't declared the same for all mages, regardless of the clan. They are demanding to treat the unofficial mages with dignity. Kings objected. Father, in particular, has taken this retaliation seriously...more than ever. One slightest indication, one gossip coming his way with a witness blaming a civilian for practicing dark magic, and father would resentfully pass the death sentence, that is death by burning at the stake in front of everyone to serve as a lesson for future law violators. It has come as a shock to everyone in Dakshinpur since father had never shown such severity before.

Death rates by law have become significantly high and so has the fear among the people of the dynasty. Aghasthya, Doctor, and I did express varying opinions regarding the matter but never dared to oppose his authority.

However, the opposition is now coming from somewhere else, from the person we least expected.

Today, a father punished an eleven-year boy. He was tortured to confess to the crime. The boy was a resilient youth, he never came to terms with the witness. He stood by his statement until the end. Father eventually burned him alive at the stake. This has provoked mixed feelings amongst the ministers and villagers. A lot of wavering talks are circulating around the dynasty, including inside my family.

"How many more," Shashi asked while having dinner that night. We were alone in the dining chamber. No parents, no Premila, no servants, just no one was around to listen and judge. Shashi could not have found a better opportunity to bring this matter up. "How many more must Father kill before he satisfies his thirst?"

"The boy was caught performing dark magic," Harsh said, looking guiltily down at his plate. "Father had made it clear that he will not spare any violator regardless the age and gender. He is only sticking to his beliefs and ideology, much like every other king. Shashi, let it go. Finish your dinner. You have some extra chores to do before you go to bed. That reminds me, did you clean the backyard?"

"The boy did not confess his sins," he said, his voice was heavy for a fourteen-year-old. "What if he really had no magic? What if he was convicted for nothing, just like those innocent people father had killed without gathering proper evidence? What if father's wrong again?"

"He's a king. If he is wrong, he's wrong. Everyone needs to get over it, including you and me."

It was a slip, and Harsh knew that. The statement had to be passed only to shut Shashi up. Harsh looked wearily up when there was no response from Shashi. Annoyance flashed in his baby brother's blue eyes. He was seething. A few beats of strained silence passed by before Shashi asked, "Are you saying that once caught, the fate of the prisoners is sealed? Nobody is going to get a chance for redemption? And you're once again going to be deaf and blind to Father's cruelty?"