"Nope, I didn't have time. And I can't reach the cabinets in the kitchen to grab my cereal."

This poor kid I swear to god I'm gonna kill Steve before his wedding.

"It's 3 in the afternoon, you haven't eaten anything?"

"Nope."

Great.

I grab my keys and phone.

"Come on, grab your coat." I say.

"Where are we going?"

"Lunch, come on."

"Ok." She says excitedly.

She stands up and I help her put on her jacket before we walk out the door, she runs down the hallway and pressed the elevator button. By the time I get to the end of the hallway the door is open, we get inside and she presses the lobby button.

...

When we get to the car she walks to the passenger door.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

"Getting in the car."

"Get in the back."

"Why?"

"Because you're 5 years old and two feet tall."

She crosses her arms.

"I'm 9 years old and 4 feet tall."

"I don't care, you're not sitting in the front. That's not your seat."

She rolls her eyes before she opens the back door and sits down, I walk around and get in.

"Do you have your seatbelt on?" I ask.

"Yup."

I turn on the car and slowly pull out of the parking lot.

"What are we getting?" She asks.

"I don't know, what do you want?"

"Whatever, I'm not picky."

"Yes you are, you're allergic to everything Sam."

She sticks her tongue out at me.

"I can't pick what I'm allergic to Hardin, I was born with it."

"Yeah yeah yeah, you're just weak."

"Whatever."

The rest of the ride is silent, I turn on the radio and she hums along to the songs.

...

We get to the diner I took Tessa once before, it was the night after the first party. I help Sam out of the car and she holds my pinky finger while we cross the street, I guess she's not so bad. On the list of people I hate she's not on the top, I guess she's ok.

When we walk into the diner they sit us at a booth and I'm pretty sure everyone thinks she's my kid, whatever. I don't order anything but a cup of coffee, Sam orders a sandwich and some fries which reminds me of Tessa.

God I miss her like crazy, I saw her today and I miss her so fucking much.

...

Sam colors her menu while I pick at my fingers.

"How did you know you were in love with Tessa? Like is it a feeling? Do you just know?" Sam asks.

I sigh.

"I don't know Sam, you just know."

"But how? You just wake up and know you're in love?"

"Yes...........no...........look........you just know, you always wanna be around that person and you love everything they do, the way they breathe, the way they chew, the way they smell,   how they look in the morning..........no matter what they are wearing they look amazing and you picture your entire life with them and you wanna wake up with them every morning and you wanna fall asleep next to them every night.................you just know Sam."