29.

Soft sniffles filled the silence of the bedroom. Yoongi's heart broke to hear her cry like this. It was worse when they left Heejae's parents' house. She had started sobbing the moment they were in the car. It wasn't the crying where you stopped after a few minutes, left with only a stuffy nose. It was the type of crying where your whole body shook with the pain you felt in your heart, making it hard to breathe. The only thing Yoongi could do to help was hold her tight.

And that's exactly what he did.

A large wet patch had formed on the front of his dress shirt where her face was snuggled, seeking comfort. One of his hand ran over her back while the other was in her hair holding her close to him as they laid together on her bed.

He was seething with anger if he was being completely honest. Hei Ryung had been completely out of line and he was sure, if they stayed even a moment longer, he would have lost all restraint. He just couldn't tolerate Heejae getting hurt this way. She was such a strong, sharp tongued woman, seeing her like this was a different kind of torture. Worse than when he had foolishly made her leave him.

"I called you my girlfriend back there because I couldn't think of anything else. I don't think your mother would have been patient enough to listen and tried to understand our relationship," he explained a moment later. He had been continuously talking about random things, not letting the silence overtake them and he didn't like the inactivity either. It was partially for his piece of mind.

She nodded against his chest, her hand tightly fisted in his shirt. Yoongi moved his hand over her's and gently made her tight hold loosen. He replaced the shirt by his own hand, entwining their fingers. Her fingers tightened around his and it made him smile.

"Can I ask you something?" he said again, after a while. The question had been burning in his mind ever since he found out about her being a singer and he wouldn't be able to sit silent if he didn't get his answer.

"Okay," she replied in a small voice which had become hoarse from crying. Yoongi's arm tightened hearing her voice and he braced himself as he asked, "Why did you stop singing?"

Heejae sighed heavily, her breath hitting the wet patch on his chest, making him shiver. Concerned, she looked up to see him grimace. She smiled softly, her heart warming with his endearing gestures. And after today, after the way he had taken a stand for her infront of her mother, she wasn't sure if she could treat him the same way she used to.

"Get changed if you want to listen to my answer," she said, pulling away from him to let him go but his grip was stronger as he held her against him. "No, tell me first. You won't talk later, I know that."

She giggled, the previous gloominess gone in face of Yoongi's wide eyes which almost resembled a child's. "I'll tell you, I promise. Change the shirt now, you have a minute." He swore under his breath as he scurried out of her room and into his own making her let out a laugh as she sat up against the headboard.

"Tell me now," he said as soon as he stepped foot in her room again, now dressed in a big grey shirt and black sweatpants. Heejae patted the spot beside her on the bed and Yoongi was quick to sit down on the soft mattress.

"My mother is an opera singer, soprano, quite famous," she started while Yoongi listened with rapt attention. "The Kang Art foundation was founded by her grandfather, my grandfather later became the chairman and obviously since she was the first born, she was named as the next heir. It was decided on our birth, who would inherit which business. Heejung was named The Park group's heir and I for the foundation.

"My mother wanted me to follow her footsteps, get into the music industry. I didn't dislike singing per se, I enjoyed it. I still enjoy music in all forms. But singing wasn't something I was extremely passionate or competitive about. I wanted to be a pianist. I wanted my own songs released, used in schools for training, you know? While my mother let me learn playing a lot of other musical instruments, she focused more on singing. I wasn't bad at it but I often saw my competitors during school competitions and the fire in their eyes for winning, the need to be the best, I never felt it. I only felt it when I played the piano.

"It started then. I was only fifteen and I had to listen to degrading words everyday, telling me that I was worthless, useless just because I couldn't hit a particular note properly. Or a voice crack or this or that. My performance was never satisfactory and I couldn't improve no matter what because it just wasn't something I really wanted to do. I was under so much stress, I started going on the wrong path. Drugs, cigarettes, alcohol, self-harm to name a few. I'm not proud of it. I still sometimes lapse into that mindset but leaving the house, traveling around, going to India, meeting Anika... It was all worth it and I don't regret it at all. But one thing is for sure, I would have never gone back and listened to mother."

"You still try to keep her happy somehow though," Yoongi noted, surprised to find out how similar their lives had been. "Why?"

Heejae shrugged. "She's my mother. I guess, I am just waiting for that one day when she realises what I have achieved all on my own and be proud of me for once. Growing up, all I ever wanted was for her to embrace me lovingly and tell me she was proud of me."

Yoongi simply nodded and caught her hand in his own. "I know what you feel, I've been through that. But you know what?" he said, turning to look at her with a small smile. "Parents have to eventually accept the reality. I'm sure your mother will accept it just the way my parents did and support you. And I'm pretty sure our baby will be so cute, she will melt as soon as she meets him."

That made her laugh out loud, Yoongi joining as her hand went to caress her tummy. Sighing deeply, she put her head on his shoulder, enjoying this little moment of theirs.

"You really think it's going to be a boy?" she asked a moment later. She was really curious since he always called the baby 'him' or 'he' while they talked. She didn't really care about the gender, she would love the baby regardless but what if it was a girl and Yoongi flipped. The thought concerned her.

"I do hope it's a boy," he said, sounding as if he was somewhere far away. "If it's a girl, I think she might end up hating me." That quirked up her interest even more. She put her chin on his shoulder to look up at his face and asked, "Why do you say that?"

He sighed, a smile playing at the corner of his lips. "I just know that I'm going to be extremely overprotective if it's a girl. I'll spoil her so much she'll become one of those rich brats but it's not like it can be helped, her parents are filthy rich," he said, laughing at his own words. "I won't let a single boy even look at her. I think I might eventually just buy a big ass property and keep her there forever. She'll be my babygirl forever."

Heejae chuckled, her lips stretching wide as she squished Yoongi's cheek in her hand. "Oh my cute Yoongi! You'll be such a great father. And don't worry about being too overbearing for our girl," she said, cupping his jaw, "I'll be there to ground you and keep you in check. She will love you regardless because she will know her dad is doing it because he loves her too."

Yoongi grinned happily, Heejae reciprocating while they just looked at each other. They hadn't been this close or so happy in each other's presence in months. There was an understanding but also a boundary between them and they hadn't seemed to get over it. They were just coexisting because of circumstances but looking at her now, he could almost see the boundary vanishing. Not completely but enough that made his heart bloom with hope for better days which included her. He liked being able to laugh, fight and talk with her this way.

He felt happy around her despite her bipolar nature, he wasn't any better anyway. And he hoped, she was happy with him too. Especially after today, he was just happy to see her smiling again.