Zac went through his plan for the evening, what he'd planned on saying, all over again in his mind. He was going to put up a spectacle today. For the one woman he desperately wanted. He had only four hours to court her and he was fucking going to. Period.

He checked his trouser pocket. Yes. It was there.

He was all set for the fight. The fight for her.

—x—

When Savannah returned to the kitchen she was happy to see everything going on in perfect sync.

"Well, guys. All set?"

"Yeah!"

"Okay, anything that has to be done here? I'm up—"

"No, no, no," Delilah prattled, "you shouldn't be here."

Savannah raised an eyebrow. "I see, where else would you rather a chef be, dear Ms. Delilah?"

"I mean," Delilah started, "we have everything under control here. Right, guys?"

Savannah looked at the others as they bobbed their heads up and down in complete synchronization. Something was fishy here.

"See. We have everything handled. You...should...get to the banquet. Just in case, you know," she quickly added.

Definitely fishy. "What's going on here?"

"Nothing, nothing, really," Lily put in. Xavier was beside her in a moment, whispering something in her ear, which made Lily pass Savannah a sheepish smile.

"I don't think it's nothing."

This time Joseph spoke up. "Really, Savannah, things are great here. We need you to be outside, so we know everything is okay there."

Wow. They weren't acting like themselves today. These weren't the people she'd worked with for three months. So unanimous. How?

"O-kay. Fine. I'll...be outside. Call me if something goes wrong."

"Yeah. Bye!" Lily gushed.

Something was wrong. Seriously wrong.

She proceeded towards the banquet. It looked spectacular. So beautiful. The drapery, the curtains, the table drapes. The whole arrangement looked really wonderful. But then, as she moved her eyes to take in the full view, they settled on something that looked better than all this combined.

Zac.

He looked drop-dead gorgeous in the all-black suit he was sporting. How could someone look so irresistible? Oh, Jesus. She just drank him in for five minutes before people started dropping in. Even then, her eyes did make their journey to him. Through the crowd and past multiple heads, they continued to land straight on him.

He interacted with people. Some he knew, some he didn't. But it didn't matter, he was social like that. He loved interacting with new people. And he was enjoying it now too, but his eyes were searching for a specific someone. She wasn't to be seen anywhere at all. Where was she?

Half an hour had passed before he finally found her. She was here. He couldn't see her properly , but he did see her checking the arrangements, ensuring it was all good. He deemed the time perfect for what he was going to do.

Showtime.

He walked over to the stage, picked up a mic and tapped it, checking the audio.

"Audible enough, guys?"

"Yeah!" came a chorus.

"Good." From a height, he could easily spot her now. There she was wearing a spaghetti-strapped jumpsuit, with a white bodice and black pants. She looked stunning, mesmerizing, breathtaking...just spectacular. Added to it was her short high-low hair that went perfectly with her clothes. His eyes travelled south, and he smiled at what he saw. Of course she was wearing a pair of high-top Chuck Taylors.