Chapter 25

Because when you finally find the one against all odds, you give them your best and let the magic of the world carry the rest.

~E. Mellyberry

***

It was mostly dark as they were finishing up with touring The Los Angeles County Museum, enough but not quite as much as she wanted it to be. The art and the displays, the architecture of the place itself, were phenomenal. Neither of them could get enough of it. And what made it even memorable was that they'd seen all of it together, with each other.

"Why are we waiting? Let's go."

"We can't. Wait," she told him and held tight onto his hand.

"Why? We've seen all of it, right?"

"No. There's one more thing I want you to see. The display I like best in the LACMA."

"Savannah," he drawled.

"What? Stop being a lazy ass, Zac. I swear you'll love it. Just wait for a while. Let it get a little darker and I'll take you there. Till then let's go back to the Gerald Cantor Sculpture Garden. Roam around for a bit, okay?"

When she looked back up at him most of what she saw was skepticism. She smiled at him. "Trust me?"

He sighed. Walking ahead past her, he said, "Let's go back to the damn garden already," making her laugh as he pulled her along.

Fifteen minutes down, Zac was getting restless again. "When do we go to your place, Reece?"

"Oh, shut it. You simply follow my lead, brother."

"I'm not your brother," he muttered gruffly. He. Was. Not. Her. Brother.

She heard it and laughed. He could be so grouchy at times. Then she checked her watch and then looked around. Dark enough.

She pulled him with her, but he wouldn't budge. "Come on! It's time!" she said and tried pulling again. This time he let himself be pulled, saying something along the lines of "fucking finally."

She asked him to close his eyes as they neared the place. He put up a fight for that too—he was one cranky fellow. She promised to guide him carefully and properly, but still he made her swear on her nephew. God, he was so over-the-top sometimes. Most times.

"Don't cheat, okay? I'll know if you do. I have eyes at the back of my head."

"Oh, really? Well, I definitely believe you."

"That's good."

A few minutes later she said, "We're here. Open your eyes."

He opened his eyes slowly. At first it was all a blur, but when it all came into focus, he exhaled. "This is so...mesmerizing. This is so... I don't have words, Reece."

"I know, right?"

"What is this?"

"The Urban Lights."

"It's spectacular."

"Come on. Let's walk through them."

Turned out walking through them was an even better experience than looking at them from a distance. Whoever had come up with this concept was a class-A genius.

"Tagged ya. You're it," she said suddenly, before she dashed away. His brain caught up on what she was saying eventually, slower than he'd like.

"Holy shit, Reece. A little prior notice would've been great. But you wanna play unfair, I'm game."