In-Between 1

A mind that is stretched by new experiences can never go back to its old dimensions.

~Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

***

Savannah looked out of the window as Zac maneuvered her car through the traffic on the road. Downtown LA traffic during the rush hours was horrible.

"What's gotten you so, Reece? Scared?"

"Scared of what? Meeting my own brother? Yeah, I don't think so. Just wondering how it's gonna go between the two of you. Running all the possible WWE-like scenarios in my mind, that's all."

A shadow crossed his face as he blanched. "Seriously?"

Glancing at him, she laughed. "I was simply pulling your legs, Mr. Sifton. Nothing like that. I'll make sure my brother has it all under control. He isn't the one to go against me, so you're safe. I got you." She saw him breathe in and out as he slowly brought the car to a halt near the signal, she had to swallow her laugh. "Oh, boy. Nervous, are we?"

"More than you can imagine. Last time I met your brother, he punched me square in the jaw, literally warning me to stay away from you. He'd said, and I quote, 'If you so much as lay a finger on her, I will make sure you end up not in the ER but in the ICU.' He's against me even laying a finger on you, and we both know I've done much more than that this past few weeks."

A small, shy smile touched her lips as she remembered exactly what they'd been up to. She had never known that she had such a bold, foxy side to her before she'd given herself completely to Zac and his wicked, wicked ways in bed—and a few other surfaces.

As he revved the car back to life, he continued, "We've barely been getting out of bed for these past few days. The first night itself we went three times—not that he needs to know what I'm doing to his sister, but still...I don't want to end up in the ICU, Reece. I really don't, but I wouldn't put it past your elder brother to do just that, if not more."

She laughed and reached over the center console to press a loving kiss on his cheek. "Aw, lover boy. Look, he won't do anything to you today. At least nothing physical. He'll be extremely hostile and standoffish towards you, but nothing more than that. Plus, you have two levels of protection—Mel and I, we both are on your side, remember?"

"Why would his wife be on our side? Does she not know what I've done to you?"

"She does. But she also has complete faith in me, that if I am in love with you, despite our history, I must have a damn good reason for it, and she respects it. She's always been on my team anyway, whenever it's me versus Dave, even when she doesn't know what it is that she's backing by supporting me. Plus, what you do with me is no different than what he does to Mel—you know how babies are made, don't you?"

"Shut up, Reece."

"Oh boy, I love you so much," she said on a laugh.

He turned a bit and leaned in to kiss Savannah short and sweet as the traffic slowed down.

Savannah moved away. "Uh-uh. Eyes on the road, boyfriend."

"You wish is my command, girlfriend." He glanced at her and flashed his boyish grin that made her heart sing in her chest.

Half an hour later, Zac pulled up in the garage of her brother's house. He felt extremely jittery as he descended the car, as though his nervous system was working on an adrenaline rush—a lot too many nerves. He knew only one effective way to reduce his nervousness to at least some extent.