Chapter 17

The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable.

~James A. Garfield

***

As he walked through the entry doorway of Magna, Rhett hoped to God he didn't bump into Klutz again. He didn't have the time, nor the energy and patience to put up with her tantrums. But Jesus certainly had different plans because while he was busy looking in other directions to find any sign of Klutz, he ran right into her. Correction—she ran into him. Only because it was her thing.

He knew it was partially—completely...maybe—his mistake too. But these days, he couldn't help but do small things deliberately to annoy her.

"How many times do I have to tell you to see where you go?" he asked, and smirked.

She didn't so much as look up at him. "Yeah. My bad. Um...I apologize." She started to walk past him, still looking at the floor, when he stopped her.

"What did you say?" he asked, surprised and shocked.

"Look, I'm sorry. It was my mistake, so...I'm sorry."

Rhett burst out laughing. "What? The sun came up in the west today it seems. You said sorry for bumping into me?"

"Yeah. I did, and if you'll please let my hand go. I have to get back to my room and get to work. Savannah's really busy and she's asked for help, I have to do my job."

"No."

"No, what?"

"I am not letting you go. First you tell me what you have done to my Klutz and I'll let you go."

His Klutz, she didn't miss the possessive pronoun he'd used. Her lips twitched and a smile threatened to form on her lips. She ducked her face, using her hair as a curtain to hide her blooming smile until she'd masked her expression.

"Rhett...please. I have to go."

"What the fuck is wrong with you?"

"I am not interested in whatever this is you're doing, Rhett."

"Well, then," he just let go of her hand, "you go."

Suddenly the place on her hand where he had held it felt cold. She missed his touch there. But no, she wouldn't tell him that. She was trying to stay away from him.

"Bye, Klutz," he said and grinned. That smile did various things to her she'd rather not admit. She had to maintain her distance, that was the bottom line. For Christ's sake, a simple grin made her feel stuff she didn't want to. Okay, maybe not as simple as it was beautiful edging on cocky.

She smiled right back. "Bye, Assclown."

—x—

Zac strode into his room. He wanted to freshen up and do something about the emotional mess in his mind. The things Savannah did to his emotional balance—what the hell. He never knew someone who could mess him up this much even existed.

He sat down on the edge of the bed, with his elbows on his knees and the heels of his palms pressed into his eyes.

He'd hardly gotten any alone time when the door opened with a click.

"Not the right time. I'll come later."

"Uh, no, I'm here now. You have to speak."

"Spence. I was coming to you. Was just freshening up. So... tell me, how's everything?"