CHAPTER 23- TRUTH UNFOLDS

"What cost?" Alice managed to ask.

Cora smiled wickedly. "The cost is to devour the souls of your own children!"

Alice felt nauseous. She heard Knave, who was standing behind her, make a sound of disgust. Maria was drifting behind Cora, looking down. She had her eyes closed, as if praying.

Cora continued, "That is right, dear! You did not seriously think that only you got the privilege to be my daughter, did you?" She demanded. "I had a lot of other kids before you, though none as annoying and hard-headed as you!" Cora said.

Alice stumbled back and felt Knave hold her shoulders, steadying her. "I... I had siblings?" She asked, shocked.

"Step siblings, darling." Cora corrected, sounding bored.

"And...., and where are they?" Demanded Alice, though she dreaded the answer she had already guessed.

Cora looked at her as if she was an annoying fly. "Really, Alice? How can you be my daughter, and be so stupid?" She said angrily. She took a deep breath, calming herself. "I just told you I devour souls, so that makes your siblings gone for good. I suppose they do not even transform into ghosts, since there is nothing left of them." She said, without any remorse.

Alice stared at her mother in horror. She had made an image in her mind, that no matter how ignorant, busy, and confusing her mother was, she was the kindest soul Alice had ever known.

Alice looked at Cora now, talking about killing her own children as though she were talking about picking flowers, and wondered just how blind she truly had been. Her stomach felt like it was twisting.

"Do you not even have the slightest regret?" Asked Alice, her voice was barely above a whisper.

Cora looked thoughtful. "At times, when I think about the children I sometimes got attached to." She waved her hand. "But they all do get annoying after some point in life!" She added.

Alice felt a pang of sadness as she realized just how much pain and misery her siblings might have gone through. How had they felt when their own mother had killed them?

"Why did you wait for so long to kill me?" Demanded Alice.

Cora smiled coldly. "You see darling, they are times when accidents happen and a child turns out to inherit a portion of my powers. You are one such accident." She said. "You have gotten my power of seeing ghosts and dealing with them." She smiled brightly. "But there is also a huge advantage here," She began. "When I devour your soul at the age of eighteen, when your powers are fully ripened that is, I will become even more powerful! Which was why I have nurtured you for what felt like an eternity in hell!" She said.

Alice remembered how excited Cora had been on her birthday.

"I had to do so much!" Continued the witch. "Send Maria to you to keep an eye on your actions, pretend I could not see the two donkey brothers..," She broke off, looking annoyed. She turned her head to the side and shouted, "SHUT UP, YOU DONKEYS!"

Cora returned her attention towards Alice, and smiled as if nothing had happened. "Sorry dear, but your friends were bothering me a little too much. No worries though, I have fixed that problem!" Alice looked around worriedly. "Oh, do not worry! They are as fine as they can ever be. I did tell you that I am not wasting my energy on these petty things!" The witch assured.

Alice looked at Knave for reassurance. He looked at her and nodded. Mike and Charlie were safe. Despite the situation, Alice felt a little relieved. At least her friends were safe.

Cora was still talking, "I had to erase your memories and then replace them with new ones, make that sickening lasagne. I even had to write an emotional letter!" The witch paused. She gave an awful wide smile, that made her lips twist in an unnatural manner.