CHAPTER 21- DECEPTION

"So, Alice is gone?" Asked Maria.

"Yes! We tried to stop her, but this is Alice we're talking about." Replied Mike.

"Exactly! She has a head as hard as a coconut!" Charlie chimed in.

Maria nodded. Relief washed over her, though she knew it was only short-lived. Sooner or later when Alice got back, Maria would have to do what she was asked to. She would have to stab Alice with that dagger, and then live with that guilt until the witch would set her free. Did she even plan to?

"Mendaline, we are here to ask you for help!" Said Alice, forcing the words out of her mouth. It had taken her a great deal of courage to ask the witch for her help after their last encounter.

When they had arrived, the witch had been sitting by her fire. Alice had been quite surprised to see her in her grown-up version. For reasons Alice did not know herself, she wanted the witch to be in her kid form.

As soon as the witch had seen Knave, she had stood up and rushed towards him, hugging him tightly. She had completely ignored Alice. Knave had seemed to really enjoy the whole thing.

Now, Mendaline looked at Alice and Knave as if she were about to smack them. After a long moment of staring at them, She said, "Knave, I think we should get going! This woman or whatever she is, she is not safe!" She mimicked in a voice that did not at all sound like Alice. Knave looked like he was having a hard time trying to control his laugh.

"I do not sound like that!" Alice shouted, feeling embarrassed.

Mendaline laughed. "You get the gist!" She replied. Her eyes fell on the torch in Alice's hand. "Scared of the dark, are you?" She asked, looking amused. "Shocking for a girl who has dealings with ghosts." She mused.

Alice let the torch drop to the ground. "Will you help us or not?" She asked, crossing her arms.

Knave looked at her. "Where are your manners, Miss Alice?" He began "Is that how you ask for help from a gorgeous lady?" He looked at Mendaline, flashing his charming smile. "Will you help us, love?" He asked kindly.

Mendaline smiled brightly. "I am afraid it is quite hard to resist when you ask like that!" She replied.

Alice snorted. "While you're at it, try and make him less annoying too!" She said.

"I do not see anything annoying about him." Said the witch.

Knave gave a bow. "Thank you! Finally, someone who understands my worth." He said.

Mendaline looked at both of them thoughtfully. "I already told you that I cannot help you with your curse, at least not without making the bull attack me, so what else do you need my help with?" She asked.

"Bull?" Asked Alice, unable to control herself.

"That wretched witch who set the curse!" Replied Mendaline. "Now tell me already!" She added impatiently. "Why have you rushed to my cave in the middle of the night?"

Alice began to explain everything. How she had set Knave free from the woods, and how she unknowingly bound him to her in the process. The witch listened to her attentively, staring with wide eyes.

When Alice was done, Mendaline smacked herself on her forehead. "How could I not notice it the last time?" She began. "That is because you were tired, Mendy darling! Being a witch is not easy!" She replied to herself, in a baby voice.

Shocked, Alice glanced at Knave, who looked equally shocked. When he met her gaze, she mouthed, 'Want to make a run for it?'

Alice did not get to see his reply, because Mendaline turned towards her, beaming. "I see you have discovered some of your powers! However, you need practice to avoid such petty mistakes." She paused, eyeing Alice. "In fact, you need a lot of practice."