CHAPTER 5- KNAVE

"Are you sure you're alright, Alice?" Asked Mike, for the sixth time that day.

They had all decided to clean the house. Maria was cleaning the kitchen, and the twins were 'helping' Alice with the lounge.

"I am as fine as I can ever be Mike! In fact, much better." Replied Alice, dusting the couches. It was true. Now that all things were clear between her and her mother, and finally knowing that her father will never return, she felt quite light.

The divorce papers had arrived early morning as promised in the letter. Sophie seemed strangely calm during the whole thing. Right from signing the papers, till the time she had left for the shop. Alice almost thought that she was happy. She could not blame her mother if she were though.

Since then, her friends had not left her alone for even a second, which now made Alice wonder how she was going to meet Knave alone later that evening.

"If not anything else, your questions will make her sick, Mike! Give the girl a break!" It was Charlie, who had now proceeded in making webs with the spiders, instead of getting rid of them. 

Alice wondered if he was helping her or the spiders. The spiders, she decided.

"Well, at least I am genuinely trying to help, not like someone who's giving her extra work with the webs!" Snapped Mike, who was really doing his best, controlling the broom to sweep the lounge, which ate up a small part of the house.

The only furniture were the blue velvet couches, that were placed opposite a blue rug, which Alice had now moved on to clean. There was also a small tv mounted atop the walls, where Alice and her ghost squad watched horror movies. Mostly, to compare those ghosts with real ones, which often turned the horror movies into comedy ones.

"Never hurt spiders brother, for one day they might save you from eternal doom!" Replied Charlie, sounding dramatic.

Alice was slowly getting impatient as the evening approached. She was desperate to get answers. The answers only Knave might have, or at least she hoped he had. All she had to do was somehow convince her ghost squad to allow her to go for her evening stroll alone, and right now, with the twins acting like her shadow, it seemed impossible.

An idea suddenly struck her. Maybe it was not so impossible after all. As soon as Maria was done with the kitchen and joined them, Alice tried her luck. " I do not feel quite good! Do you guys mind if I go and rest for a bit?" She asked.

"See! I told you she was not well, despite her carrying on like she is!" It was Mike, who had suddenly panicked the minute she had said the words, 'I do not feel quite good!'

Alice felt really guilty. So much so, that she was tempted to tell them everything, but she held herself back. No use worrying her friends about something even she did not quite get.

"Of course dear, just call us once if u need anything!" Maria said calmly.

Nodding her head, Alice went into her bedroom and locked the door. Not like that would do any help, considering her friends could just pass through easily. Still, it made her feel safe. 

Very carefully, Alice opened her bedroom window and climbed out to meet Knave.

It turned out Alice did not have to call Knave after all. He was standing with his hands in his pockets, smiling at her, as if this was something that always happened. He still looked the same, which was no surprise.

Alice suddenly got conscious of how she looked. What with her plain cotton yellow dress, that matched her hair band, white leggings, and black boots. 

'Probably too girly!' Alice thought.