/34/ Fireworks

Dedicated to ssnbooklover, thanks for the support so far <333

"And you're saying this is good?" I wondered hesitantly taking the hot dog he just bough us.

"Yes."

I looked at him over the street food as he urges us to move from the stall and closer to the beach where everyone was gathering. The fireworks would start soon and people were already taking place in the sand. For a second I got worried Jake wanted us to melt in the crown as well, but instead he headed for the little viewpoint in the promenade a little away from where they'll be. It looked directly to the sea, but it stood afar from the whole commotion.

I like it here better. The laces of anxiety in my chest weren't as strong here. We may not be able to had the perfect view, but a lot more calmness. And some privacy, the mass unsettle me, but in here the groups weren't as packed and allowed us personal space. And also, less witnesses would see me eating this 'hot dog'.

"It looks messy." I muttered eying the meat between breads covered in ketchup, mustard, mayo and... was that onion? Clearly not something I could eat in a classy manner. 

Jake's lips quirked upwards, letting his soda over the railing and leaned against it. "You can judge it without trying it. What if it's the best thing you've ever had?"

"What if it's the worst?"

"But what if it's not?" Jake shrugged carelessly eating his.

I pressed my lips looking down at mine. Yeah, I never had a hot dog before. Just like I never had junk food until later on in my life. And a lot of other normal stuff. I was that weird.

"How about the calories? I haven't eaten healthy lately." I thought out loud, only then realizing in my effort to spend less I neglected it completely and instead went for the easier and cheaper. I must increase my current sport routine, also unattended so far, or it would start showing off.

I was only voicing a sudden realization, but as Jake took in a deep breath I realized I must have come out as a complainer. That I must have offended him. "You want me to get you a salad?"

I came out half jokingly, but I sensed it behind his words. I'd definitely offended him. He planned this, pay for it, and still all I could do was complain. It somehow pinched my heart, and swallowing the reticence I took a nip at the weird sandwich, expecting it to be greasy, and nasty, but instead a tasty flavour taunted my tongue, halting my movements as I took in the pleasant surprise.

He read that halt as something wrong. "You don't like it."

I looked up at him, hating the way he looked disappointed. "I-I do."

"Okay," he pushed off the railing, making my chest tightened a more. No no- "I'll go get you some-"

"No!" I stopped him by the arm rushedly with my free hand, barely managing to hold everything and not to stand me nor him with ketchup. He looked surprised down where my hand was and I blushed, but maybe it was that shock what allowed me to tug him back. "I like it, so just stay here and let's enjoy the fireworks."

"You sure?"

"Jake." I turned to the sea again, self-consciously and hoping I didn't sound as desperate as I felt. I didn't want him to think I was still a spoiled brat that couldn't get along with normal stuff. I took another bite, this time I got to taste some of the caramelized onion, adding just a wonderful flavour to the mix. "Wow, this is actually pretty good." I found myself amazed and saw from the corner of my eyes the way he tried to conceal a smirk and I blushed more, setting my gaze in the dark ocean unfolding before us. "If you say 'I told you so-'"