Why They Didn't Come!

AU: Kingdom AU, This is Part 2 to "They Aren't Coming"

TW: Abandonment, Roman is an ass at first, Relationship Struggles

WC: 3904

Date: 8/13/2021

"Get out!" Roman shouted, the betrayal filled him to his very core. Magic had always been the source of his problems. Magic was what had killed his parents, magic was what had separated him from his brother, and Logan had chosen to dabble in that most heinous art. Did he not realize how disloyal this was?

"Roman, if I co-"

"Do not address me with such familiarity, you have been stripped of that privilege!" He didn't want to hear Logan's excuses he didn't want to be twisted and lied to. Logan was one of his best friends, but he had felt the man growing further and further away from the trio.

"Your Highness, if I could just ex-"

"There is nothing to explain!" What was Logan intending to learn from dabbling in magic? He knew the kind of people who practiced such a dark art were the type who were only out for their own gain. Roman had to close himself off, hide the pain that he was feeling from the loss of a friend. He kept his voice steady, but his hands were shaking from anger and pain.

"You dabbled in the forbidden art of magic, and you hid it from me, from us." He gestured to Patton and Virgil who were standing on either side of him. He wasn't sure what the two of them were going through, but he was sure it wasn't going to be any easier on the two of them.

"How could I ever trust you again?"

He watched as Logan flinched, but he hardened his heart. He wasn't sure what lies a man who was willing to do magic was capable of.

"It was not my choice!" Logan's voice sounded desperate but Roman remained steadfast.

"There is always a choice, get out!"

There was silence in the throne room as Logan seemed to have crumbled as his head remained down, looking at the ground. Finally, he whispered, "Yes, my king." Before turning and walking out, leaving Roman alone with his knight, and most trusted confidant. Not taking a single scrap of his old life with him.

"Roman...."

"I just need a second Patton," His voice dropped to hold a softness that he had refused to give to Logan. "Please, just a few moments."

From the corner of his eye, Roman saw Patton nod. He was so thankful for that man as he collapsed his head into his hands. He remembered when Logan had first come to the castle, no family, no home. He had been quiet, refusing to open up to anyone. It had taken years before he first saw Logan smile, and it had been at the hands of Patton's cookies. Logan's soft smile reminded Roman why he wanted to be king. He wanted to be able to bring that smile to all of his citizens and Logan had been helping with that. His advisor was able to pick up on knowledge and information much quicker than anyone Roman knew. It had taken a lot of soul searching to not be jealous, but eventually Roman had learned to appreciate Logan for what he was.

A brilliant man.

Lifting his face out of his hands, Roman began to slowly stand. "We will need to begin to look for a new royal advisor at once, someone who can pick up where the previous left off."

He could feel the tenseness in the room, neither of the other two wanting to have this discussion just yet. Roman didn't want to have it either. He wasn't ready to discuss the loss they all felt.

Day 3

Patton came rushing into Roman's study. He had long since lost the title of cook, instead, becoming one of Roman's two fiancés, yet he still cooked often and just as often was covered in flour. Roman looked at Patton fondly, standing up to meet him. He knew something must be wrong because of the sad look on his love's face, but it couldn't be extremely time-sensitive or Patton would have shouted his name. Over the years he had learned both of their quirks and marveled in them constantly.