1: 02

1943

As Flora walked past the kitchen table on her way out, she noticed an envelope from Austria. Her parents had traveled there, despite everything going on, under false names to assist friends in trouble.

'Run, little flower'

-xo

She looked around, seeing nothing and quickly left the house.

Steve, who was coming to get Flora, collided with her and both fell to the ground.

He scrambled up, noticing her expression. "Flora?"

"My parents are in danger."

Steve pulled her up. "What? What happened?"

"A note from my mother telling me to run. They could be dead, Steve. I never got to say goodbye!"

"Flor, you don't know if they're gone."

"They're two German-born Jews in Austria. If they're not dead, they're captured." She walked towards the mailbox and pulled out a letter addressed to her. She opened it and let out a sigh. 

"What is it?"

"You remember when I told you I was drafted?"

"They gave you your orders, didn't they?"

"Yeah. I'm part of the 107th."

"That's Bucky's unit, isn't it?"

"I think so. Steve, I'm scared."

Steve pulled her into his arms and smiled. "It'll be okay. Just come back, okay?"

"I always come back." She smiled at her friend.

Steve smiled back, though his wavered. He was terrified for his friend. Himself wanting to fight was one thing. But Flora going to fight was something else entirely.

"Steve?" Flora called. "We're going to be late for the movie."

Steve nodded. "Uh, yeah. Come on."

The two made their way to a movie theater and Flora asked, "Will Bucky be coming?"

Steve glanced at her. "He's on his way."

They watched as a commercial about the war before the movie.

The commercial announcer said, "War continues to ravage Europe. But help is on the way. Every able-bodied young man is lining up to serve his country. Even little Timmy is doing his part collecting scrap metal. Nice work, Timmy!"

"Who cares?" a loud, jerky guy said. "Play the movie already!"

Steve replied quietly, "Hey, you wanna show some respect?"

"Meanwhile, overseas, our brave boys are showing the Axis powers that the price freedom is never too high."

"Let's got! Get on with it! Hey, just start the cartoon!" the loud jerk cried.

"Hey buddy, you wanna shut up?!" Steve returned.

The guy got up and looked at him.

Flora glanced at Steve. "Now you've done it. If something bad happens to me and I die, I'm coming back from the grave to haunt you."

"Together with Allied forces, we'll face any threat, no matter the size."

The three were soon in an alley. Steve pushed Flora behind him and tried punching the guy, but kept getting knocked down. Flora smiled as she watched him stand again and again.

Flora went to hit the guy who said, "This isn't your fight, princess."

Steve picked up the top to a trashcan and the guy said, "You just don't know when to give up, do you?"

"I could do this all day," Steve challenged, balling his fists.

Flora groaned. "Please don't do this. You've made your point."

A young brunet man in uniform walked up to the fight and said, "Hey! Pick on someone your own size!" He punched the attacker, then kicked the man as he ran away.

Bucky looked back at Steve. "Sometimes I think you like getting punched. And you brought Flora into this? Come on, man."

"I had him on the ropes," Steve replied. "Flora was safe. I made sure of that."

Bucky picked up Steve's enlistment form from the ground. "How many times is this?" He read from the enlistment form. "Oh, you're from Paramus now? You know it's illegal to lie on the enlistment form. And seriously, Jersey?"

Steve ignored Bucky's words and asked, "You get your orders?"

"The 107th. Sergeant James Barnes. Shipping out for England first thing tomorrow. "

"I should be going. Come on, Flora."

"Come on, man. My last night! Gotta get you cleaned up."

"Why? Where are we going?" Steve wondered.

"The future." He handed Steve a newspaper. Steve opened the paper to see an ad for World Exposition Of Tomorrow, 1943.

Flora glanced at the newspaper and smiled slightly. "An escape. Wonderful."

"Flor, did something happen?"

Flora glanced down and pulled the letters from her bag, offering them to Bucky.

Bucky took them and studied them. "I'm so sorry, Flora. I hope your parents are safe."

She shook her head slowly. "No, somehow I don't think they are. I got drafted, Buck."

"I know. How about we take a night to forget and see the future, huh?"

"Yes, that sounds splendid."

"I've lined up a couple dates, but we can both double with you, Flor."

Flora nodded and the three walked away, ready to catch a glimpse of what was to come. Not a soul knew what their future held.