Running Once Again

April 1979

The morning was bright and cheerful, the line was clear the sun shone in the sky, no clouds were seen. Meanwhile, Gordon thundered down the line with heavy express they call the Wild Nor' Wester. "Come on! Come on!" he clattered to the coaches, "we're late already, and I don't want to be halted by some faulty signal again!"

He continued and went at a tremendous speed. But when he was reaching Crovan's Gate, the big engine noticed something up ahead, it was a danger signal. Gordon scowled at the sight of that, but he knew for the passengers' safety, he would have to slow down in case of something on the line.

Sure enough, when almost reaching the stretch before the tunnel, he saw an engine in front of him, steam and smoke rising next to him. It looked like Alfred for a second, but then Gordon noticed his paintwork was a much darker blue.

Gordon's eyes narrowed and came to a steady stop right behind the other engine. "What's going on here?" he huffed crossly, "I'm delayed already!"

"Ahh Gordon, just the engine," said a familiar voice.

The big engine looked down to see Sir Charles Topham Hatt look back at him, he looked relieved. "This here is Topham Manor," he introduced, "we were running test runs today, but I'm afraid he ran out of steam during his test run. Nothing but a tune-up will be fine for him but he needs to be shunted to the works. Can you do it?"

"Of course, sir," sighed Gordon, "not like I got anything else to do."

He gently buffered up to me and began to push him to the station. I couldn't help but feel embarrassed and I wheeshed my remaining steam sheepishly. "I'm truly sorry about all of this," I said, "it's been a while since I moved under my own steam. Roughly over ten years!"

"I quite understand," said Gordon sympathetically, "but I'm sure you'll be fine, at least it was only you not able to make steam and I'm sure the faults will be quickly rectified."

"It's King Gordon of Sodor?" I asked.

"Just Gordon pleased," said Gordon, "the title is just too long and I've pretty much been called Gordon most of my life."

"Ahh I see," said I, "well, that's good, it is quite a mouthful I do say so myself. Is that the express you're pulling?"

"Indeed," said Gordon, "good thing I saw the danger signal, otherwise I would not have been able to stop in time for you!"

"Yes indeed!" I chuckled.

They continued to the station, where Harvey was waiting to help shunt me out of the way. Gordon was thankful to see the narrow gauge engine waiting for him at the platform. "I do apologise Skarloey," he said, "this new one here broke down during his test runs."

"That's alright!" Skarloey smiled, "but I do say that you look quite relieved."

"Well, I stress a lot when I'm late," said Gordon, he paused for a brief moment, "I can't deal with Duncan."

"Ohh," said Skarloey, "I understand you there my friend. And how are you feeling Topham Manor?"

"It was a good run until the journey back from Killdane," replied I, who was now being coupled to Harvey, "but I think I'll be soon ready."

"That is good," said Skarloey, "sorry, I can't talk, delayed train here."

Gordon grunted in agreement, soon, the Wild Nor' Wester was allowed to leave and the big engine charged off to make up lost time. I watched him go, fascinated by the sight, Harvey noticed this.