Hatt's Legacy

October 1978

Stephen was working hard, the Norramby branch line had recently been given full ownership to the North Western Railway once more after over fifty years, even though Stephen was pleased about it, the passenger services were always popular on the branch so it would give him more profit to the railway. But he was more bothered about the short notice British Rail gave him and due to that, Arthur was currently suffering as a result of the overload of work.

Stephen was looking through all his notes and paperwork, trying to find a good solution in finding a new engine. But diesel engines and DMUs weren't available no matter where he went and steam engines weren't even on sale on heritage lines.

"Bother," he grumbled, as he leaned back into his chair.

A few seconds later, a knock on the door came and Stephen looked up to see his wife coming in, his disgruntled look softened. "I thought you were with my father and the children," he said.

"I was," smiled Helen, "and Richard, Charlie and Emily are doing just fine. Your mother spoils them."

"I know," chuckled Stephen, "it's a miracle I didn't grow up to become a spoilt brat."

"Well... your father does have his ways," said Helen, "you can just have one conversation with him and you'd walk away with a different perspective on life!"

Stephen laughed. "I wouldn't say that," he said, "but he certainly has his ways."

Helen smirked, as she sat down on the guest chair in front of Stephen. "Which leads me onto the reason why I'm here," she said. Her hand ventured into her purse and came out with a dirty picture which made Stephen's eyes narrow slightly. She placed it carefully onto the desk right in front of Stephen. "

With curiosity, Stephen carefully picked up the picture and turned it the right way round towards him. He blinked in astonishment. There in the photo, was a picture of a Great Western locomotive at a station with many people crowded around it. It looked like a GWR 7900 'Manor' Class. But what caught Stephen's attention was the centre of the engine where it cloaked the name boards, with Sir Bertram Topham Hatt holding it, a grin on his face and one of his hands holding the cloak, ready to pull it off to reveal the name of the engine.

"That's... my grandfather?" Stephen pointed out.

Helen smiled. "Your father found it when showing photos to the children," she replied, "he was just puzzled as I, asked me to give it to you if you know anything about it."

"Well if he doesn't know, neither do I!" replied Stephen, "I only know a few things about my grandfather and that was mainly after his death."

"Like what precisely?"

"Well he did not have a fondness of engines that were female," said Stephen, "he wasn't very kind when things didn't go his way, and he especially hated--"

Stephen stopped suddenly and repositioned himself. "Best not to say that last bit," he said, "but when I was with him he was an extremely kind man and very giving to me and Bridgette when we were kids. I have never known him to go to another railway and do... what looks like a naming ceremony!"

"Did your grandfather do anything with that railway in particular?" asked Helen curiously, placing her dark-skinned hand onto Stephen's pale one which lay on the desk in front of him.