{53}

JJ spent the next couple of days staying at the Chateau with Brie whilst he was suspended from school, which he knew that Brie was actually enjoying despite her constant scolding at him for getting himself in so much trouble on his first day back.

He woke up on his side in the bed with her arms around him, her breath tickling the back of his neck. He stayed like that for a while as she slept, secretly enjoying being the little spoon for once. He could see why Brie loved it so much.

He eventually rolled over, making sure to keep her arms around him. She groaned at the sudden shift in movement, but quickly fell back asleep with her lips parted as she snored lightly.

JJ smiled to himself, gently moving the stray strands of hair away from her face, trying his best not to wake her. She looked so carefree in her sleep; he wished that he could see her like this more often.

He shuffled closer to her and pressed his lips to her forehead, putting one of his arms over her waist. He swore that he saw the corners of her mouth turn up into a small smile.

His eyes scanned over the remaining scars on her face. They had all pretty much faded by now, but if JJ looked closely, he could still notice the places where the numerous cuts had been. His own face had been scarred for years of abuse from his father, but even more now after the past couple of weeks.

His father.

The dirtbag had managed to get himself arrested for drug dealing and assaulting a police officer. He was being kept in the local jail, where he would be for another eighteen months. And that was with good behaviour. JJ had his doubts.

JJ's cousin Ricky was supposedly staying with him as his legal guardian. JJ couldn't exactly go and stay with him at his house...on account of the weed farm that Ricky currently had growing in the middle of the room. He figured DCS would have a lot to say about that.

He hadn't told Brie yet, or Kiara or Pope. He knew that he would have to tell them soon enough, but he didn't want another thing playing on their minds whilst they were trying to heal.

JJ pulled the covers back over him, laying his arm over Brie's waist. She sighed and readjusted herself, putting her hand on his chest. He wanted to stay like that forever; with Brie lay asleep in his arms.

He had just closed his eyes when he felt her hand twitch. He ignored it for a second before he felt her then grip the material of his shirt.

JJ opened his eyes and looked down her. Her face was embedded in a deep frown, her head shaking slightly back and forth. Her eyes were scrunched shut tightly, tears beginning to flow down her cheeks.

He tightened his arm around her, not sure what to do. She had been having a lot of nightmares lately. Whenever he woke her, she had a panic attack, but if he didn't wake her, then she would wake up screaming. He didn't really like either one of his options.

"Brie, hey," he whispered, still holding her in his arms. "You're okay."

She still didn't wake up. He squeezed her arm gently, hearing her breath hitch in her throat. He frowned, gently placing his hand on her cheek.

"Brie."

"No," she murmured under her breath, still stuck in her nightmare. "No, please. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Please. I can't."

JJ's frown deepened, shaking her head gently to try and wake her up without scaring her. Brie flinched and let out a sob, her eyes still screwed shut.

"Brie, you're okay," he whispered words of encouragement, "Come on. Wake up, princess."

Her eyes shot open in alarm as she gasped, her tears beginning to fall more heavily. She grabbed onto his shirt and he pulled her close as her body trembled with sobs.