{47}

JJ used himself as a barricade between Brie and his dad. His mind was in utter panic. He could hear Brie's rushed breathing from behind him which only made him panic more.

"Dad, stop," he begged, "Put the gun down. What are you doing?"

"Do you know how much money they'll give me if I hand her over to the cops?" He asked. He was sweating and shaking, clearly on a shit ton of drugs.

JJ turned to look at Brie, who was completely horrified. His dad leant down and snatched up a piece of crumpled paper from the floor, holding it up to show him. It was a mugshot of Brie, probably for when she got arrested before, and under it read reward of $10,000 for capture. Brie's mouth fell open, staring at JJ in terror.

"We can be rich, son," his dad said, "Ten k. Think about it."

"Dad, no!" JJ shook his head, "Stop it!"

He raised the gun, aiming it at JJ. He instinctively raised his hands in the air, heart thumping against his ribs. Would his own father actually shoot him? JJ didnt doubt that he would

"Step aside, boy," he warned.

"I'm not gonna do that, dad," JJ said, "Just put it down, alright?"

"I said move!" He bellowed, face deepening in colour.

JJ swallowed sharply, glancing back at Brie. She looked on the verge of a panic attack, her hands trembling as she raised them in surrender, struggling to breathe normally.

"Brie, it's okay," he said, "I'm not gonna let him shoot you, and I'm not gonna let the cops find you either."

"Boy, if you dont move I swear I'll blow your goddamn head off," his dad shouted.

"That's what I'm worth to you, is it?" JJ asked, angrily, "You would kill me for that reward money?"

"You're a worthless piece of shit," he snarled back, "Just like your mother. Maybe if you didn't cost me as much as you do-"

"I dont cost you anything!" JJ yelled, "Hell, I'm not even here half of the time, not that you would notice. Maybe if you didn't waste all our money on fucking coke."

His dad didnt move, gun still pointed at JJ's chest. He didnt dare turn again, but he could still hear Brie gasping for breath.

"Last chance," he said, clicking the safety off, "Move or I shoot."

"No," JJ breathed out.

"Move!"

"No!"

His dad lifted the gun, finger on the trigger, and JJ immediately threw himself forward. He grabbed the barrel of the rifle, shoving it hard so that he dad was knocked backwards. JJ still gripped the gun, forcing the aim away from Brie.

"JJ!" she screamed in terror.

JJ couldn't even attempt to look over at her in fear that it would give his dad the chance to shoot. The distraction was enough. His dad regained his footing, jabbing the handle of the rifle into JJ's gut. He dropped to the floor holding his stomach, the air knocked out of him. He heard the click of the gun and felt the barrel press against the back of his head.

"No!" Brie yelled.

Despite having one arm in a sling, Brie ran threw herself onto him, pinning him down and making the gun slide across the floor. JJ blinked in shock, trying to make himself get to his feet and reach for the gun. JJ's dad shoved Brie off of him, grabbing her by the shoulders. She let out a cry of pain and her legs crumpled under her. He dragged her up, holding her against his chest with his fingers digging into her shoulder right where the bullet had entered. JJ quickly scrambled for the gun, standing and pointing it at his dad, who was using Brie as a shield.