{52}

Brie was torn apart with guilt. She always managed to fuck everything up, and then JJ was always amazing and ready to help her. She hated how she dragged him into everything.

Kiara sat with Brie on the sofa, combing Brie's damp hair after her much needed shower. Brie stared at her hands, not really feeling like talking right now.

She felt better after cleaning herself up and pulling on some of JJ's clothes. She always felt better when she was wearing his clothes.

Her shoulder ached badly from where she had lost her sling during her time on the mainland. She must have been far to out of it to even realise that she had lost or to register any pain, and she had no idea how.

"We were worried about you," Kiara said softly as she began to pull Brie's hair back into a loose braid.

Pope nodded, looking over at them from where he was stood by the door. Brie felt awful, the lump in her throat preventing her from even muttering any kind of apology.

"We're just glad that you're okay," Pope reassured her quickly, giving her a small smile.

Brie smiled back, glad that they weren't angry with her, even though they had every right to be.

"I wasn't thinking straight," she admitted, "Everything just got so complicated so quickly."

"It's okay," Kiara hushed, finishing braiding Brie's hair. "We know. JJ is taking care of it."

"He shouldn't have to," Brie mumbled, picking at her fingernails. "He shouldn't have to keep looking out for me all the time. I'm ruining his life."

Kiara looped her arm through Brie's, leaning her head against her shoulder.

"No you're not," she said, "JJ loves you. He just wants to keep you safe. You know that you would do the same for him."

Brie sighed, humming a half hearted agreement. She knew that she would do anything for him, but the difference was that she hadn't. But he had done way too much for her already.

"Besides," Pope added, "It's not like any of this is your fault. Not really."

Brie frowned in confusion.

"How is this not my fault?" She asked, her voice unintentionally rising. "I left, Pope! It's my fault I got spotted, and now it's my fault that Barry is after me again."

"Brie," Kiara sighed, "It's okay. We have more than enough blackmail on Barry to get him to keep his mouth shut."

Brie put her head in her hands and dug her palms into her eyes. This whole thing was a mess.

Pope came over to sit next to her, putting a soothing hand on her back. That made her feel better; Pope wasn't usually one for physical affection.

He used to get so awkward around her, so it made her feel a lot better to know that he trusted her enough to be comfortable with her now. Especially after their little kiss, and his' and JJ's fight. She was glad that got forgotten about so quickly, and that their friendship hadn't been tarnished in the process.

"You were going through a tough time," he reassured her. "You've been through a lot, and you wanted a break. No one's blaming you for that. Barry finding you was just...bad luck."

She smiled at him gratefully and shook her head. "Is there any other kind?"

"Apparently not."

JJ stood in the doorway, throwing a small wad of cash down onto the coffee table. But that wasn't what caught Brie's attention. His left cheekbone was turning a pale blueish purple, a small cut in the centre that spilled a trail of blood down his cheek.