the heartless horse

The bell rang and everyone rushed out of the classroom and got on their busses and started on their way home. I walked through the large open space. The tree’s swayed in the wind as I walked through the large field. There was clear evidence that no animals had been living in this field for years. The grass was badly over grown and the water trough was old and rusty .i carried on walking through the field as I did every day.

SNAP

I looked down and saw I stood on a twig. I started walking on more but got stopped in my tracks when a gray blur raced past my eyes and galloped around the perimeter of the field. I spun and stared at the beautiful beast. The gray mare was galloping around full speed occasionally throwing a small buck. She had kind eyes and her ribs were clearly visable. Her gray coat was covered in dust and her legs were skinny. I cant believe I have never seen this horse before.

She did a couple more laps of the field beofore slowing to a trot and lowering her head.

“ssshhhhh.. it’s okay girl. I won’t hurt you” I said calmingly.

Her trot strides slowed and she started walking taking long rhythmical strides around the field before stopping and dropping her head in attempt to graze at the overgrown grass. I started walking again looking down at the ground not wanting to spook the horse again.

A silver glint shone through the over grown grass and I crouched down to get a better look. There lay an old leather head collar and black lead rope. I bent down to pick it up. It looked like a good size for the mare. But why was it on the floor, and why was this horse here?

I slowly walked up to the mare. She had a kind and friendly face. I started walking slower not to startle her. Before I knew it I was around two meters away from her.

“ hey girl. Come here, I wont hurt you” I said gently. Hiding the head collar behind my back. I could now tell that she had been owned before she ended up here for she had a clip. It was over grown but still visable, the grey dapples over her body grew lighter were the clipped hairs were.she turned her head towards me and flared her nostrils.

“good girl” I said as I slowly reached out to stroke her. She tensed to begin with but soon relaxed into my touch.

“ will you let me put the head collar on you girl?” I asked her and she replied with a small whinny.

I slipped the headcollar over her head and it fitted her perfectly. I patted her neck and she nuzzled me with her nose.

“ lets go for a little walk.” I said and started to walk forward. She followed and walked next to me in a steady pace. Her hooves meeting the ground in a smooth rhythm.

“ want to try a trot ?” I asked her and she let out a playful snort. I started to jog beside her as we trotted around the field.

“good girl” I said slowing her to a walk.

I unbuckled the head collar and patted her on the neck once again. I started walking away from her, I soon heard the soft sound of her hooves meeting the dry grass.

I hung the headcollar up on the post and headed over the fence and on my way home.

A/N

Hi I hope you liked it. Please coment for the next part! J

chantalandequestrian