Prologue

Prologue

I weaved through the forest, darting around trees. It was getting dark, I pondered the idea of staying another night out here. The brisk air had my fur thicker than usual.

"Arlo." I heard Jake pressing into my mind link. I ignored him and kept going. This was my time to run, to forget. I leapt over a small stream and landed in a thick bank of snow. Shaking my fur dry from the icy flakes.

"Arlo!" Jake pressed me harder. I growled and let him in.

"Yes!" I snapped irritatedly. I climbed the bank, breathing heavily. I haven't ran that hard in a while. I liked disappearing out here for weeks on end. It was relaxing.

"You have an urgent call. You need to come back." He ordered. I scoffed I didn't get important calls. I've been alone, pack hopping for years, majority of my time was spent outside.

"It's Ellis. Marion is bothering her about the humans again. I think it's serious. She's asking for you." I stopped in my tracks. Elle sent letters usually, never urgent calls. She never asked me to come home, just hoped I was okay. I stopped getting Christmas cards around Althea's 10th birthday.

"She and Sam can handle it." I gritted out. I could hear his own irritated growl ring through my head.

"Althea is reluctant to take her place in the pack. She needs you. You know that." He snapped. My wolf howled at the sound of her name. Here I was in the one place I could get her off my mind and Jake was dragging everything to shit again.

"Get here now. Or I'll have my people track you down." He threatened before ending the link.

~~~~

"I'm not going. It's a terrible idea." I told Jake, pacing his office. I rubbed my over grown facial hair as the stress pricked my brain. He stood and rolled his eyes.

"Althea is almost an adult. I think you owe her and Ellis an explanation. You up and left them without a word. That little girl loved you." He tried pulling emotion out of me.

"They had Samuel. They were safe. And you know damn well why that little girl loved me. It wasn't because I drove her to school or made her meals..." I spat. He chuckled.

"You can't even say her name." He mocked.

"Fuck you." I gritted out. He narrowed his eyes.

"Watch your god damn tone. I'm still an Alpha, no matter how may tantrums I let you throw in my mountains." Jake was the only one that I confided in about my pull with Althea. He let me stay here from time to time. I was grateful but as years past he was getting more and more persistent about me going home.

"She turned 17 a couple months ago. She not doing well. And Ellis needs back up with Marion. He's on the verge of starting a war with the humans, he's gotten worse since he moved to the states." He admitted. I stood silent thinking about all the things that could possibly go wrong once I lay eyes on her again.

"It's time to be honest." He added. I ran a hand through my messy hair. Maybe he was right. Maybe being honest could earn me a happily ever after. Maybe Deacon wouldn't be turning in his grave, and maybe Elle wouldn't try to kill me. I couldn't help the smile making its way to my face. Human Elle trying to kill me.

~~~~

"Hello?" I heard Elles soft voice on the other end. I sighed. She sounded happier than when I left. Probably more fulfilled. I was glad Sam made it out of those woods that night. He pulled her out of a dark place, something I tried doing for three years after Deacons death.

"Hey Elle." I spoke lowly. I heard her gasp and shuffle on the other end.

"Arlo!" She squealed. I smiled softly. Maybe she really did miss me.

"I can't be there long. But I'll try to help in anyway I can." I cut straight to the point.

~~~~