"Really?" Ashton sounded simultaneously encouraged and surprised but Calum nodded to reassure him.

"Yeah, the first day was a little awkward. There's a lot of memories of when things were different still tucked away in the corners of this house. I think a bit of the nostalgia overtook her and we didn't talk much. Her and Erin got into it the other night though and she confided in me and I don't know it seems to have lightened the mood. We were always so good at listening to each other and helping the other work through things like that, well for the most part anyways," He clarified as he thought back to when they had needed clear communication the most and it had failed them. Frowning he continued, his mind working to put into word everything he had been thinking about most recently. "I just feel like the way things have been going the past few days, and I know that's not a long period, but things have been decent and I feel like that's got to be a good sign. Maybe this quarantine will be one of the best things to happen to Fal and I."

"I hope you're right." Ashton said, sounding genuine.

"Me too. I'll see you later for the live?"

"Yeah, that sounds good. Happy release day my brother. Sorry we can't be together."
"The feeling is mutual. Bye."

Calum braced his hands against the computer desk and rolled himself backwards until he could stand. The motion woke Duke who had been happily napping in the corner of the room, perched on a dog bed. The dog trotted after his owner and rushed through the doorway as soon as Calum pulled it open and stepped into the hallway, nearly colliding with Fallon.

"Oh shit, hey." He said, reaching out to grip her biceps and steadying them both.

"Hey! I was just coming to look for you actually." She exclaimed, a clear look of excitement over her face.

"You found me." A soft smile curled his lips.

"I just wanted to see how you were doing and all. It's a big night."

"It is and I'm... anxiously excited." He said, though he sounded unsure even to his own ears.

"Don't be anxious. It's going to be great. Can I sweet talk you into a little sneak peek?" Fallon batted her eyelashes in what she was sure was a ridiculous display but she had an agenda of her own. She wasn't sure that any songs that referenced her on the album would be kind and she didn't know if she could handle hearing any that may exist at the same time as the rest of the world.

Calum rolled his eyes and playfully scoffed at her. "No special treatment for house guests!" He laughed.

"Aw, Cal, come on." Whining wasn't becoming but she really was a bit restless over the whole idea. She pouted out her bottom lip, hoping her best sad face would sway him. The resign on his own indicated that she just might have enough in her to crack him but when she saw the way he sighed, his shoulders slumping her face quickly flattened. "You don't have to." She said suddenly, surprising even herself.

"I'm a little shocked you even want to hear it if I'm being one hundred percent truthful." Calum's hand lazily trailed over his exposed arm and up to the back of his head. His fingers dug benath the hem of a grey beanie to scratch at the base of the short curls he was slowly letting grow.

"You thought I was going to live in the same house as you and not listen to the new album you release?" Their was no hiding the surprised sarcasm she was spewing, not that she was making any effort at all to hide it. "Should I be concerned about that?" The second question was asked softer, revelaing her timidness and concern over what he could possibly have said about them and their former relationship in the songs that the world would soon have access to.

She couldn't blame him if he had bashed her. From his vantage point of how things unfolded he had every right to go for the kill and she hadn't minced many words in some of her own writings so there would be little room for her to object if he indeed blasted her.

"There's nothing on there that isn't absolutely true. I really only heavily contributed on a few of them, Luke had a lot to say this time around."

"I know you don't owe me anything but I just wanted to be prepared if the whole world is about to hate me more than they already do."

Calum stepped forward and brushed a stray piece of hair that had fallen into her eyes back behind her ear. He stilled, his hand still caressing the side of her face for a moment. "Trust me, Fallon. And listen to it before you jump to conclusions."

His teeth were clutching his bottom lip as he leaned in, the scent of his cologne heady and overwhelming as he softly pressed his lips to her cheek and then moved past her down the hallway to the living room.

An: YALL. It's been so long and I'm SO sorry. If you didn't read my message on my wall I've been MIA bc my hubby and I are expecting our first baby next March! We're so excited but ya girl has been EXHAUSTED. Writing has really taken a backseat and I've had to move away from my update schedule bc I was feeling SO guilty for being so behind.

I hope y'all understand!

NOW: what do we think about Cal and Ash's talk?

What about Fallon's hesitancy to hear the new album?

Does she have a reason to be worried?

Will it be why she's expecting?

What do you think happens next?

I love you and thank you so much for being patient!
Sav 🖤